• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First round of post-Brexit subsidies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First round of post-Brexit subsidies

Goes to the (mainly) Tory-supporting farmers.

The article is slightly misleading, the headline says £10 billion, the story says more than £10 billion. If the rest of the article is correct in that subsidies will stay the same as the current CAP, then the actual cost is (£25.1bn + £2.6bn) / 7 years for existing CAP, x 4 years for Gove’s guarantee, = £15.8 billion, or £76 million per week.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...ions-announced

Expect lobbying to intensify on behalf of all other recipients of EU (sorry, “UK”) funding.

Buying votes.

If that doesn't work, fox hunting ban will be repealed.....

Comment

Seems sensible to me if they retain the EU subsidies alongside the EU laws during the transition phase.

As net contributor to EU the UK can afford to retain the subsidies anyway.

It's after the transition when the UK government decide who they want to protect or shaft I'd be more concerned about, when they don't have to pander to EU just their mates and party donors.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Buying votes.

If that doesn't work, fox hunting ban will be repealed.....
        Next votes to be bought... South West England and Wales (based on the amount of subsidies they currently get from the EU)

But it's not supposed to be >£10bn, the original figure was £6bn. Those farmers must be good negotiators and the government must be useless at negotiating a good deal, to have given away an extra >£4bn a year.

https://www.ft.com/content/aaecb834-...c-7b39cbb1138a
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

All Meadows and flower filled fields, what's not to like?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Seems sensible to me if they retain the EU subsidies alongside the EU laws during the transition phase.

As net contributor to EU the UK can afford to retain the subsidies anyway.

It's after the transition when the UK government decide who they want to protect or shaft I'd be more concerned about, when they don't have to pander to EU just their mates and party donors.
            This is where the timing gets a bit tricky :-)

The exit bill already includes current commitments, which presumably includes CAP until 2020. Assuming a transition period of 2 years until March 2021 (which will probably include full EU payments plus EU laws), the proposed farming subsidies are already continuing for 3 years after the transition.

Any longer transition would probably include continuing EU budget payments, to a greater or lesser extent depending on what services/systems/agencies we want to negotiate continuing access to.

However, if after 2019 we enter a transition phase we may be contributing in full to the EU budget but with no say in how the CAP is distributed. Our most excellent government negotiators would need to make sure that the current proportions are retained.

Comment

What's in that letter to Nissan that is too controversial to put in the public domain ?

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                All Meadows and flower filled fields, what's not to like?

That will reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, bring British Wildlife back to the British Countryside and we'll all have more time to walk in it and enjoy it.

...until the Countrycide Alliance come along and insist on murdering all British wildlife in the name of "sport"

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  What's in that letter to Nissan that is too controversial to put in the public domain ?

Guarantees of government subsidies for their petrol & diesel engines until 2040.

But remember, Nissan is 45% owned by Renault.

Comment

So nothing goes to the NHS?

Comment

Working...
                    X