• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Humming and Hawing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humming and Hawing

As we are all of different backgrounds, it's probably time for a thread as to where we see ourselves in the next five years. A poll is best, so I may set one up. Not you Eirikur.

I have considered moving family to France, but outer Paris is expensive and would require many compromizes. There are plenty of finance roles there, with reasonable rates and accessibility to swathes of countryside.

Ireland is a 'no' from me, as there are simply too many people for the roles available. During the next downturn I expect a realignment of the state of affairs there, trending towards the negative.

Scotland: Nearer to home and likely the best choice, if you can tolerate the ever changing weather. Scottish friends who were ardently 'no' during the last independence campaign are now solid 'yes', which I can't say I am surprised at. If independence appears there will definitely be a better relationship with the EU than the rest of the remaining UK have.

The one single thing I find bizarre is that we all recognize we are about to become significantly worse off in the next decade but few of us are employing much action to ward this off. Isn't this a sign of madness? The quality of life compared to the current U.K is better elsewhere. If you worked abroad and taken your family before as an expatriate then you will know this to be the case. If things are to get worse in the U.K then - even accounting for a worse situation in the EU - the situation elsewhere is likely to be impacted less in my opinion. We should be band together and consider our options more seriously.

I only raise this question now as two close friends have moved, to France and Belgium respectively, with very good rational reasons. Sticking with a split country doesn't sound promising for us remaining long term. It may sound feeble to have two passports, one UK, one EU, but that provides yourself and your children with the most options should brexit turn out to be a success. I am not expecting a success and I am fairly sure you aren't too.
    Yes, temporarily
    9.09%
    Yes, permanently
    72.73%
    Yes, but only if I can have dual passports
    0.00%
    No, brexit is a mess, but I stick with my country with senseless loyalty
    9.09%
    No, hedging my bets and moving to Scotland!
    9.09%

The poll is expired.

I would have voted "No, everything will work itself out, and the UK will eventually be better off after Brexit" but you didn't include it as an option. On the other hand, if we end up with a Corbyn government, I'd be seriously considering my options.
    If you're thinking of moving to France, you'd better start learning French, and be prepared for the bureaucracy, which will be far worse than anything you can imagine.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I've changed the poll to private - no need to make these things public, is there?

Some people like to keep themselves to themselves, don't they rogerfederer?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

democracy in action Cojak style or Putin?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
          As we are all of different backgrounds, it's probably time for a thread as to where we see ourselves in the next five years. A poll is best, so I may set one up. Not you Eirikur.

I have considered moving family to France, but outer Paris is expensive and would require many compromizes. There are plenty of finance roles there, with reasonable rates and accessibility to swathes of countryside.

Ireland is a 'no' from me, as there are simply too many people for the roles available. During the next downturn I expect a realignment of the state of affairs there, trending towards the negative.

Scotland: Nearer to home and likely the best choice, if you can tolerate the ever changing weather. Scottish friends who were ardently 'no' during the last independence campaign are now solid 'yes', which I can't say I am surprised at. If independence appears there will definitely be a better relationship with the EU than the rest of the remaining UK have.

The one single thing I find bizarre is that we all recognize we are about to become significantly worse off in the next decade but few of us are employing much action to ward this off. Isn't this a sign of madness? The quality of life compared to the current U.K is better elsewhere. If you worked abroad and taken your family before as an expatriate then you will know this to be the case. If things are to get worse in the U.K then - even accounting for a worse situation in the EU - the situation elsewhere is likely to be impacted less in my opinion. We should be band together and consider our options more seriously.

I only raise this question now as two close friends have moved, to France and Belgium respectively, with very good rational reasons. Sticking with a split country doesn't sound promising for us remaining long term. It may sound feeble to have two passports, one UK, one EU, but that provides yourself and your children with the most options should brexit turn out to be a success. I am not expecting a success and I am fairly sure you aren't too.
          Having lived in EU for 5 years now I can only describe some of the pros and cons:

1) Taxes are higher in EU as a rule of thumb halve the rate on offer to get actual earnings. Having said that the days of one man pretending hes a company are over so in future your not going to be that much worse off.

2) Health care is better in the EU. When in the UK I have to phone in the morning in hope of getting an appointment when in the EU I phone and always get one.

3) Credit is a bad word in Germany none of my girlfriends family own a credit card and Wonga loans are unheard of.

4) Rail transport in EU is generally good but a little disconnected. The German ICE train makes the UK rail system look like steam technology.

5) Road systems generally good and you would need to drive into Romainia to find as many pot holes as in the UK.

6) Schools, I dont have any kids yet but fellow Brits tell me that they are excellent. You will need to learn the language in any country you go to as English is spoken everywhere but its not good form to expect people to do so.

The UK is not a bad place to be but as you say there is nothing to suggest any improvement after March 2019 you certainly have nothing to loose by going to live in EU.
          Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            I would have voted "No, everything will work itself out, and the UK will eventually be better off after Brexit" but you didn't include it as an option.
            We already know you're a hopeless cretin, so no harm done.

Comment

Of course, some of us, whether by good luck or good planning, are ahead of the game, and watching the triumph of Brexit from the sidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Of course, some of us, whether by good luck or good planning, are ahead of the game, and watching the triumph of Brexit from the sidelines.

You've fooked off already? Brexit is already delivering positive benefits beyond our wildest dreams...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You've fooked off already? Brexit is already delivering positive benefits beyond our wildest dreams...
                  Have you still not twigged that the UK was always able to have blue passports?

Comment

Think your smoking something illegal Mordac.
                    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Working...
                    X