• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A betrayal of Brexit is no LAUGHING matter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Extra-time: We're still in the SM and CU so everybody can carry on trading. We're still paying full whack into the EU. We have been demoted - nobody will take any notice of what we say now. We're still governed by the EU Court, and citizens of the EU and UK can freely go about their business. What's not to like about that as far as Brussels is concerned?

(And I think even JRM was up for a postponement recently)
    Full whack? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_rebate

The UK rebate (or UK correction) is a financial mechanism that reduces the United Kingdom's contribution to the EU budget in effect since 1985. It is a complex calculation which equates to approximately 66% of the UK's net contribution – the amount paid by the UK into the EU budget less EU expenditure in the UK.[1][not in citation given] Based on a net contribution of €12.1 billion (£9.8 billion) in 2014, the UK Treasury estimates the 2015 rebate amounted to €6.2 billion (£4.9 billion), reducing the ultimate UK contribution for the 2015 budget to €16.6 billion (£12.9 billion).

Were the EU to accept the UK back, I think the rebate would go.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
      Were the EU to accept the UK back, I think the rebate would go.
      We're not talking about going back into he EU. We're talking about extending the transition period for 2/3/5/10 years. I can't see who would fight against that.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

We're not talking about going back into he EU. We're talking about extending the transition period for 2/3/5/10 years. I can't see who would fight against that.
        JRM would fight it. It would affect his asset management company too much. It would upset the ERG. It would send the DM into meltdown.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No, the UK are talking about it, not the EU though. It takes two to tango and one partner might want to sit that dance out
          'Brexit means Brexit means Leave means Leave.' Surely the government can get it all sorted, why should there be a (second) transition period?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

May to propose hard as nails Brexit

now no sniggering please
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

now no sniggering please
              I think that slots in the opening marked "no deal". The EU is terribly agitated about "cherry picking".

Snigger.

Comment

now no sniggering please
                Sounds great, now if only we can get the 27 to agree.

Not the EU, the ones in Chequers.

Comment

ah.....the Brexiteers are not LAUGHING

'It's a SOFT Brexit PLOT' – Theresa May faces Chequers SHOWDOWN with FURIOUS Brexiteers
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Bloody snowflakes.

Comment

If she's struggling now, imagine the struggle she'll have with the EU trying to disaggregate their "four freedoms". A terribly difficult problem to unravel. I gather she's "pleading" with other heads of state, almost "begging" them not to reject her proposal. As I recall, it has been pre-rejected. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking. Tick tock. No deal seems increasingly likely. What happens after that is anyone's guess. If I were an expat, I'd be stockpiling comfort blankets.

Comment

Working...
                      X