• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any UK Contractors in the EU expecting Brexit pain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't be making any rash decisions to renounce any citizenships. In the UK they charge you £372 and then if you change your mind its £1,206 to re-register (if they accept you).
    Just relax and see what arrangements are put in place!
    Back to business!

Comment

Originally posted by cdtaylor3 View Post
      Hi All,

Do we have any UK Contractors out in the EU that are trying to figure out what to do in order to stay in their country of choice after Brexit? I've been in sunny Holland now since March, all registered with the Town Hall, health insurance and so on, then... Brexit,

I won't have been here for 5 years, come end of transition but my family are all settled. Heck, I'll even give up contracting and get a nice permie job if it means not going back - its not that I have a problem with the UK, but my family genuinely love The Hague. My Limited is in the UK but I can change that easily enough.

Anyone want to put their $0.02 in?

Thanks,
      Chris.
      I am just starting the process to acquire Irish citizenship, but I expect that the historic bilateral rights of Irish citizens in the UK and British citizens in Ireland will continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        Still, no holding of breath.
        No, please, hold your breath.

Or tell me that I am wrong, tell me that you have a passport and have spent several years contracting beyond the shores of the UK.

If you can add experience to this thread, please do.
        If it’s just you ranting, then let everyone know that you are ranting based on little/no experience of the OP’s situation and a poor use of google.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          If they are non-EU, and if they want to become DE citizens. Your post might have some validity after March 2019, but under current circumstances it is not.

The reason there is nothing in your link for the current circumstances is that a country leaving the EU has not happened yet, and any indication of what the rules will be after March 2019 has not been set yet and would be speculation only.

What we are left with is your attempt to start an argument without the relevant facts (again), for no other apparent purpose than to start an argument.

Grow up.
          Hence the use of "once the UK leaves the EU" in my original post

It was a simple question, based upon a premise* that is not unreasonable.
          Not 'an argument' as you put it.

Do people think scoots should not even take this possibility into account, or that this scenario is impossible, or unlikely?

*That the UK will be a non-EU member, once we leave the EU, duh.
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            No, please, hold your breath.

Or tell me that I am wrong, tell me that you have a passport and have spent several years contracting beyond the shores of the UK.

If you can add experience to this thread, please do.
            If it’s just you ranting, then let everyone know that you are ranting based on little/no experience of the OP’s situation and a poor use of google.
            Glad I didn't, as you haven't done/said anything to disprove you're assuming my position.

It is not always necessary to have direct experience of something, in order to talk about it.

Could you link to the post in this thread where I have been ranting?;

Define: Ranting;
            a long, angry, and impassioned speech.
            Originally posted by Old Greg
            I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by cdtaylor3 View Post
              Hi All,

Do we have any UK Contractors out in the EU that are trying to figure out what to do in order to stay in their country of choice after Brexit? I've been in sunny Holland now since March, all registered with the Town Hall, health insurance and so on, then... Brexit,

I won't have been here for 5 years, come end of transition but my family are all settled. Heck, I'll even give up contracting and get a nice permie job if it means not going back - its not that I have a problem with the UK, but my family genuinely love The Hague. My Limited is in the UK but I can change that easily enough.

Anyone want to put their $0.02 in?

Thanks,
              Chris.
              I suspect that once the negotiations (haha) finish in March next year, then you'll have until December 2020 to make up your mind.

If the UK government are not interested in negotiating a deal for their expats, then you'll probably want to get yourself an EU passport. This does not currently mean renouncing UK citizenship in all cases. So that might buy you another 10 years.
              If the UK government change their minds and actually decided to do some negotiating and not just produce documents saying they might, then you might have to make a decision on where you are a citizen unless they adopt a model similar to, for example, Switzerland.

We'll have a better idea in 8 months time.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Applying for a passport in my resident country (Germany - been here almost 8 years). For me it is more important I can continue working in members states from Germany than just Germany alone, such is our situation.

No one knows what is going to happen but our family has all agreed it is better to act and protect ourselves rather than let the idiots in Westminster do that for us.
                Pretty much this as my work means I have to be able to freely move about Europe, pretty much at a minutes notice in some cases. 50% already complete and the rest at the end of next month. As my UK-EU passport runs out next year and I really can't be bothered with the hassle (1) of renewing it, plus it doesn't seem to hold the importance it once did. Once Brexit is complete we'll then see what the position is regarding dual British citizenship in the EU and whether you have to drop one or the other, no-one really knows...

(1) I used to be able to just go to the consulate in Düsseldorf with the old one, a photo and a few bob and in about 6 weeks time I would have anew one. Now you have to have more than a few bob, send it registered post to Liverpool (which means you're without any official documentation during that period) and wait ages for a new one. Waste of time and money...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Phelan View Post
                  I won't be making any rash decisions to renounce any citizenships. In the UK they charge you £372 and then if you change your mind its £1,206 to re-register (if they accept you).
                  Just relax and see what arrangements are put in place!
                  I certainly will not be renouncing my citizenship. I have another 12 years of postal ballots for UK elections to enjoy. I'm registered in a Tory / Labour marginal.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I certainly will not be renouncing my citizenship. I have another 12 years of postal ballots for UK elections to enjoy. I'm registered in a Tory / Labour marginal.
                    So you're the one of the illegal postal votes that Labour rely on.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      So you're the one of the illegal postal votes that Labour rely on.
                      All perfectly legal. Sorry you hate democracy so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X