• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Fear Redux

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Fear Redux

So the UK voted to leave and have an absolutely useless exit strategy and negotiation team yet blame others: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ys-jeremy-hunt

Typical gammonflakes...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

And there will be civil riots.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      So the UK voted to leave and have an absolutely useless exit strategy and negotiation team yet blame others: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ys-jeremy-hunt

Typical gammonflakes...
      Serious question...

Do you feel that the EU negotiators are waiting for the UK to "blink"?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        Serious question...

No I don't think they are. Naturally they don't want the UK to leave as the UK is one of the strongest and, dare I say it, more sensible members of the political and economic union, or was. The EU are just waiting for a sensible proposal on how the UK will leave, one that doesn't involve cake or cherry picking. I think it is pretty simple yet the UK bureaucrats and politicians seem to think that they can have both when as any fule knows, that is not possible...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Serious question...

No. I think they are waiting for the UK to come up with a coherent strategy/plan that consists of something other than soundbites.
          I also suspect that if the UK team are saying one thing in public and a different thing to the EU negotiators, then the EU guys will be calling them out on it.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There is no solution that will satisfy the EU and parliament. Hard Brexit all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              No. I think they are waiting for the UK to come up with a coherent strategy/plan that consists of something other than soundbites.
              I also suspect that if the UK team are saying one thing in public and a different thing to the EU negotiators, then the EU guys will be calling them out on it.
              Do you really think you're going to see this in the media?

It appears to me that there's a certain amount of false bravado being shown by both sides of the negotiating table. The UK because they're trying for the best deal they think is possible and the EU because they're tulipting themselves that once the stable door is shown to be open that other horses will vote with their hooves.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Do you really think you're going to see this in the media?

It appears to me that there's a certain amount of false bravado being shown by both sides of the negotiating table. The UK because they're trying for the best deal they think is possible and the EU because they're tulipting themselves that once the stable door is shown to be open that other horses will vote with their hooves.
                The bravado and playing up for the media is mostly on the U.K. side though. This is where we get the spectacle of the U.K. claiming that no deal is better than a bad deal, and simultaneously feigning fury that the EU is preparing for no deal... it gets the Brexit gammons going, but has the unintended consequence of burning through any goodwill that we need in negotiations.

The EU is a legal construct of 27 member states. The key asset of the EU is the legal construct of the internal market. There is no way that the EU will divide this just because a member state is leaving and wants to break up the market to suit itself.

The U.K. has been offered the deals available. Take it or leave it, and stand on your own two feet.

Comment

the EU because they're tulipting themselves that once the stable door is shown to be open that other horses will vote with their hooves.
                  Do you really think that?

Is this the old "The EU want to punish the UK", "the EU want to set the UK out as an example", "everything wrong with the world is the EU's fault", "the EU voted to leave the UK", "the EU is to blame".

No sign of any other country wanting out, yet it's over 2 years since the UK promised to leave.

If the UK was serious about leaving, if it was serious about breaking all ties, if the promises/threats of VoteLeave had any value to them, we would be out by now.
                  You want to know who is to blame? You want to know who has to accept responsibility? You want to know who needs to step up to the negotiating table with some workable ideas? Gove, Davis, Johnson, Rees-Mogg and their followers/worshippers.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    The U.K. has been offered the deals available. Take it or leave it, and stand on your own two feet.
                    They will leave it.

It will be fun watching Germany pick up the EU cash slack. West Germany managed to integrate East Germany. They have a long way to go with the Latin block.

Comment

Working...
                    X