• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarkets slam "food stockpiling" suggestion by government.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    People will continue to support Brexit whilst all this abject nonsense is being pedalled.

The delays to vehicles crossing the border are of the order of minutes rather than hours.
    What matters is not just the processing time per vehicle, but also the number of vehicles arriving per hour.

Take a simple model to demonstrate.

Trucks arrive at the rate of 1 every 2 minutes
    Processing time is 2 minutes
    2 minute delay per truck.
    With 200 trucks, the average delay is 2 minutes.

Trucks arrive at the rate of 1 every 2 minutes
    Processing time is 4 minutes
    First truck is delayed 4 minutes. The second truck 6 (2 minutes waiting for the first truck to be processed + 4 minutes of its own processing), the third truck 8 (4 minutes waiting for the second truck to be processed + 4 minutes for its own processing)... the nth truck is delayed 2+(2xn) minutes.
    With 200 trucks (the 200th truck delayed 402 minutes - over 6 hours) the average delay is over 3 hours.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My point in starting this thread was not to suggest that there would necessarily be problems in food supply (although there may very well be) but to point out that the government "plans" consist of dumping the responsibility on the retailers. Given how incompetent the govt have been with Brexit negs (which seem to to be taking up all the bandwidth) I wouldn't rely on them to do anything competently, if I was in the UK.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        What matters is not just the processing time per vehicle, but also the number of vehicles arriving per hour.
        OK, I see your point. That leads me back to the argument that incoming food is not being held up by the French, by us or by queues on the M20. I can see a complication about lorries being delayed on the overall round-trip but that is a lot easier to solve
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Given how incompetent the govt have been with Brexit negs
          What else could they have possibly done? They can't do BRemain. They won't get away with it. They can't do BREXIT. They won't get away with it. So they keep going back to the EU asking for cake-and-eat-it. There's just the slimmest of slim chances they can get something there. I'd love to hear what you would have done differently.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

What else could they have possibly done? They can't do BRemain. They won't get away with it. They can't do BREXIT. They won't get away with it. So they keep going back to the EU asking for cake-and-eat-it. There's just the slimmest of slim chances they can get something there. I'd love to hear what you would have done differently.
            Hard Brexit of course. Give the people what they want.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

OK, I see your point. That leads me back to the argument that incoming food is not being held up by the French, by us or by queues on the M20. I can see a complication about lorries being delayed on the overall round-trip but that is a lot easier to solve
              So we're not going to be searching the lorries that come here? Well that's one way to solve the problem of migrant camps in Calais.
              England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Of course we're all going to starve, all our food comes from the EU, and if we upset the dunk twat he'll confiscate the keys to all the lorries. Oh, but I've just enjoyed a lovely meal of Scottish Salmon, Cornish potatoes, and British spinach, with a sauce made of British cream and dill from the garden. All washed down with a very nice glass of NZ sauvignon blanc. I can't vouch for the lemon, which may well have been EU sourced, I may just have to do without in future. I don't know how you manage it, but you give tiresome twats a seriously bad name...
                https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-y...n/fruit/citrus

so you need to grow under plastic
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

OK, I see your point.
                  Good. And since it was a very simple bit of analytical thinking coupled with basic maths, I see sasguru's point.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Of course we're all going to starve, all our food comes from the EU, and if we upset the dunk twat he'll confiscate the keys to all the lorries. Oh, but I've just enjoyed a lovely meal of Scottish Salmon, Cornish potatoes, and British spinach, with a sauce made of British cream and dill from the garden. All washed down with a very nice glass of NZ sauvignon blanc. I can't vouch for the lemon, which may well have been EU sourced, I may just have to do without in future. I don't know how you manage it, but you give tiresome twats a seriously bad name...
                    You haven't bothered to check how much dairy products for example we are importing from the EU, have you?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-uk-supply

You can't instantly grow dairy caws and magic up 50% increase in the dairy industry from farms to processing facilities. Fruit orchards need decades to start producing output. We also don't have enough land with suitable climate to produce a lot of the consumed vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      You haven't bothered to check how much dairy products for example we are importing from the EU, have you?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-uk-supply

You can't instantly grow dairy caws and magic up 50% increase in the dairy industry from farms to processing facilities. Fruit orchards need decades to start producing output. We also don't have enough land with suitable climate to produce a lot of the consumed vegetables.
                      Dog whistle anti-immigration. Shame on you. Anyway, Old Greg can smuggle butter and milk over.

Comment

Working...
                      X