• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarkets slam "food stockpiling" suggestion by government.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    No, but we can import fruit and vegetables from Africa (as we do currently) without the EU tariffs. We might have to do without Camembert for a while, but I think we'll cope (in full sarcy mode, for the benefit of NAT).
    In case of "no deal" the tariffs from Africa will be the same as the ones from EU - WTO. Sure we will be free to negotiate better/no tariffs with African fruit and veg exporters, but there is zero evidence of these being in the works and usually the process of signing them takes years of negotiation.

As for dairy, there is so much more than cheese involved. And it's not like it will vanish from the super market shelves, it's just the price will be somewhat different.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Yes everyone on CUK knows you're a stable genius.
      They cannot know, they can only perceive and form an opinion.

You however, have implicitly agreed with my opinion twice now - so everyone on CUK knows you are unhinged, as you agree with the statement.

Thanks for playing though
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        They cannot know, they can only perceive and form an opinion.

You however, have implicitly agreed with my opinion twice now - so everyone on CUK knows you are unhinged, as you agree with the statement.

Thanks for playing though
        Ah there we are, the bolding is back. I knew the meds would wear off
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Ah there we are, the bolding is back. I knew the meds would wear off
          The tools are provided by the CUK website, if not for actual use, then what/why?

I'm just bolding to make it easier for someone that is known to be unhinged*, to understand the point(s) being made.

You should appreciate the extra effort made, you unhinged lunatic you.

*sasguru
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            In case of "no deal" the tariffs from Africa will be the same as the ones from EU - WTO. Sure we will be free to negotiate better/no tariffs with African fruit and veg exporters, but there is zero evidence of these being in the works and usually the process of signing them takes years of negotiation.

As for dairy, there is so much more than cheese involved. And it's not like it will vanish from the super market shelves, it's just the price will be somewhat different.
            Only because we have apparently "chosen" to keep all existing EU tariffs in place. I don't see why we couldn't just have zero import tariffs on all food products for a limited period (say 2 years). That way we're not discriminating against anyone.
            According to a DEFRA report published earlier this year:

UK Tariffs on Imports under WTO rules
            31. If no trade deal with the EU is struck, any food or agricultural product that we need
            to import from the EU will be subject to UK tariffs. Under WTO rules, the UK will not be
            able to set tariffs that discriminate between trading partners, except as part of a free trade
            agreement or to give developing countries special access to its markets.
            32. The Government has said that it wishes to replicate as far as possible the EU’s existing
            set of tariffs, at least in the short term.
            From: https://publications.parliament.uk/p...ru/348/348.pdf
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

It's unlikely we will get into a no-deal situation. Nobody wants that and the EU seem to be saying "We are happy to drag out transition as long as necessary".

The EU continue to offer Canada +. I think that involves a lot of zero tariffs/zero quotas.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

The only thing that will be agreed by October is the bill, that's it, end of, until "BJ" becomes leader of the Tories. The only trade agreement will be a ons side of A4 saying warm fuzzy things about trade, commitments and "lets be friends".
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

The way I see it on March 29th next year the UK will leave the EU into a transition phase, Boris will take over as "caretaker" prime minister complete the negotiations and then handover the reigns to Corbyn, by that time City will have moved all the financial markets safely out of his reach in time for him to start his communist experiment.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The way I see it on March 29th next year the UK will leave the EU into a transition phase, Boris will take over as "caretaker" prime minister complete the negotiations and then handover the reigns to Corbyn, by that time City will have moved all the financial markets safely out of his reach in time for him to start his communist experiment.
                    And there was me thinking that Corbyn will be given the elbow for McDonnell.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      And there was me thinking that Corbyn will be given the elbow for McDonnell.
                      He can't last much longer at the top.

Not sure McDonnell is any more attractive to us.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X