• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasoned and intelligent discussion on Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Brexiteers will hate it ("I can't stand people telling me I can't buy halogen bulbs after this month"). However the EU vehicle is being steered by 27 of the best and most UK-like countries in the world. We won't have a say but I don't have a say on which airways the pilot is flying when I go on holiday to Lanzarote. I'm comfortable he's taking an entirely sensible route, and I'm sure they will.
    Damn your well reasoned response.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      I am comfortable the people steering the vehicle will take a route which ensure's their own personal wealth and safety.

I do not think they could give a flying fook about any other human being.
      The fact that someone as congenitally stupid as you can actually make a living is proof enough that the system isn't just geared to the elite.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        Brexiteers will hate it ("I can't stand people telling me I can't buy halogen bulbs after this month"). However the EU vehicle is being steered by 27 of the best and most UK-like countries in the world. We won't have a say but I don't have a say on which airways the pilot is flying when I go on holiday to Lanzarote. I'm comfortable he's taking an entirely sensible route, and I'm sure they will.
        Hasn't it been the case over the last 30+ years that the direction of the EU suits the Franco-German masters, and if it benefits the UK by some side-effect, great, if it doesn't, they plough on regardless?

We've paid in over £500,000,000,000 in total, and our infrastructure is some of the worst in Europe. We've been duped. Enough is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Hasn't it been the case over the last 30+ years that the direction of the EU suits the Franco-German masters, and if it benefits the UK by some side-effect, great, if it doesn't, they plough on regardless?

We've paid in over £500,000,000,000 in total, and our infrastructure is some of the worst in Europe. We've been duped. Enough is enough.
          Funny that point of view.
          Many Europeans think the EU is too neo-liberal economically because of the UK's influence - all those free-market ideas and austerity are directly from Maggie's playbook.

Anyway if you think that we have more in common with India and China than our European neighbours , than a hard Brexit would be logical.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Funny that point of view.
            Many Europeans think the EU is too neo-liberal economically because of the UK's influence - all those free-market ideas and austerity are directly from Maggie's playbook.

Anyway if you think that we have more in common with India and China than our European neighbours , than a hard Brexit would be logical.
            Our wages and standard of living (on average) is more India/China like than Germany. Maybe we should partner up with the emerging markets.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Our wages and standard of living (on average) is more India/China like than Germany. Maybe we should partner up with the emerging markets.
              Feck me, you really should have abandoned VB6 a long time ago
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Feck me, you really should have abandoned VB6 a long time ago
                Nah, at least another 20 years life in VB6 yet.

Comment

"Bilateral" is usually used when referring to 2 countries. So we'd have to have deals with every single EU country separately, which isn't feasible in any time frame.
                  If you're using "bilateral" to refer to the UK and the EU, then that "bilateral policy", as you call it, if it came to exist, amounts to the same thing as a "transitional deal" between the UK and the EU.

Doh!
                  I know what bilateral means you gimp.

The transitional deal breaches red lines. I’m talking about something exceptionally lean; which still enables basic functional relationships between the EU - UK.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Great Idea. But Sadly Impossible

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    The transitional deal breaches red lines.
                    Red lines: like a railway track they extend from two years behind us and, as we look into the far distance, they still don't ever quite converge.

And, of course, never will.
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      I know what bilateral means you gimp.

The transitional deal breaches red lines. I’m talking about something exceptionally lean; which still enables basic functional relationships between the EU - UK.
                      Exceptionally lean still removes the 750 trade deals and trade enablers that we are party to due to membership of the EU.

We can do a lean deal on airlines with the EU, for example, but our flight rights to other countries are tied up in other EU agreements with those countries.

Comment

Working...
                      X