• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JRM says EU citizen have to leave UK after brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    I doubt it.
    A tractor is a useful handsome beast
    JRM is not handsome nor useful in the least
    Oh I don't know, he's useful inspiration if one is in the process of writing a Victorian novel...

(You find tractors handsome? Have you sought help for this fetish?)
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Are some of you capable of basic maths?

According to figures in above links, EU citizens make up 5.8% of the UK population but their net contribution in tax and NI is 1.6% of government expenditure.

The net costs in the above links also only include tax credits and child benefits. Plenty of other costs that should be taken into account. If you look into some pro migrant "studies" they are very biased. One cost usually excluded is that of schooling children - because they are born in the UK, it doesn't count. Never seen any "study" that takes account of remittances either, money that is sent abroad without benefit to the UK.

And what about indirect effects of a near 6% population increase? We need to build more houses, provide more school places, more hospital beds, more roads, more energy, more water... The costs and problems of this pressure on population are enormous.

Some say we need these people because of a growing elderly population, a problem we have due to a big boom in population after WW2. Having another big boom in the population is hardly a sensible way of dealing with the problem. Too many migrants are also the wrong sort of people, they support low productivity businesses we do not need. The economic model we should be aiming for is a high productivity, technology-based one.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 9 September 2018, 12:34.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Maybe we can just keep EU citizens paying higher rate tax?

As we really need their skills because they don't exist in the UK and they aren't dragging down wages that shouldn't be a problem.

At the very least we should check their wages meet the minimum standards for current immigration visas?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Are some of you capable of basic maths?

According to figures in above links, EU citizens make up 5.8% of the UK population but their net contribution in tax and NI is 1.6% of government expenditure.

The net costs in the above links also only include tax credits and child benefits. Plenty of other costs that should be taken into account. If you look into some pro migrant "studies" they are very biased. One cost usually excluded is that of schooling children - because they are born in the UK, it doesn't count. Never seen any "study" that takes account of remittances either, money that is sent abroad without benefit to the UK.

And what about indirect effects of a near 6% population increase? We need to build more houses, provide more school places, more hospital beds, more roads, more energy, more water... The costs and problems of this pressure on population are enormous.

Some say we need these people because of a growing elderly population, a problem we have due to a big boom in population after WW2. Having another big boom in the population is hardly a sensible way of dealing with the problem. Too many migrants are also the wrong sort of people, they support low productivity businesses we do not need. The economic model we should be aiming for is a high productivity, technology-based one.
          Again lots of brexiteer bulltulip. In the region were I live there are many very highly educated EU citizen working in all sorts of scientific research institutions of Many have announced they are leaving after Brexit and I know of many who have already left.
          Like me, many EU immigrants send their children to private schools and have private health insurance as both public education and healthservice in this country is amongst the worst in the EU. So we pay the tax for education and health but we're actually not using it.

Comment

EU migrants contribute the most as this graph shows.

The graph also shows that it is "British" natives that are the biggest drain on tax payers.

Without EU migrants the UK would be at the IMF with a begging bowl.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Again lots of brexiteer bulltulip. In the region were I live there are many very highly educated EU citizen working in all sorts of scientific research institutions of Many have announced they are leaving after Brexit and I know of many who have already left.
              Like me, many EU immigrants send their children to private schools and have private health insurance as both public education and healthservice in this country is amongst the worst in the EU. So we pay the tax for education and health but we're actually not using it.
              Actually using figures not personal anecdotes sort of demonstrates that it isn't bull tulip. Of course you bought project fear so you believe anything.

Many EU nationals came here because they couldn't get an equivalent life in their home country. Either that or they are a bit thick putting up with our "rubbish" health service & education system etc.

If that has changed and their home country now looks better then good luck to them.

If you have private health care then its pricing is dependant on falling back to using the NHS at no cost so yes if its something other than an ingrowing toenail you may well use it. The recharge on EHIC is currently very poorly done so most EU citizens using the NHS are a cost.

Emergency health care is free regardless of status.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/he...e-from-abroad/

If you are paying for private education then the schools receive government contributions, inspection & charitable status so yes again its coming out of my tax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...om)#Criticisms

As suggested above if we set the bar at paying higher rate tax those who are in such a position would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                EU migrants contribute the most as this graph shows.

The graph also shows that it is "British" natives that are the biggest drain on tax payers.

Without EU migrants the UK would be at the IMF with a begging bowl.

FTFY I removed your unsupported accusations.

This is interesting.

Rowthorn (2014) re-evaluated the estimates of Dustmann and Frattini (2013) for recent migrants. In particular, he argues for the need of a British worker displacement adjustment given the evidence that migration displaces British workers. After this and other adjustments he finds a negative impact of recent EEA migration of about GBP -0.3 billion and a negative impact of recent non-EEA migration of GBP -29.7 billion.

In an update to their 2013 research, Dustmann and Frattini (2014) find that migrants from within the EEA have had a positive net fiscal impact during the 1995-2011 years, whereas non-EEA migrants had a negative net fiscal impact of about GBP -118.0 billion. During the 2001-2011 period, recent migrants from A10 countries had an estimated net fiscal impact at approximately GBP + 4.9 billion, other recent EEA migrants at GBP + 15.3 billion, while recent non-EEA migrants at GBP + 5.2 billion.
                so +4.9 + 15.3 + 5.2 - 118= - £92.6 Billion seems a lot of red ink.

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u...ion-in-the-uk/

That is really peanuts when we look at the need to increase our infrastructure to cope with 10-15% more people. I won't go there as AssGuru will get excited about stables.

Note they only count service usage by apportioning the same cost as a similar age British person so translation services and additional resources needed by migrants are ignored.

Personally I believe un-managed migration only impoverishes the country and we should look to attract only highly skilled migrants that want to integrate.

plenty of references at the bottom of the link if you want to research further.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Personally I believe un-managed migration only impoverishes the country and we should look to attract only highly skilled migrants that want to integrate.

plenty of references at the bottom of the link if you want to research further.
                  An incorrect statement, firstly migration is managed and secondly no-one is being impoverished by it.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Without migration then the bigots would have nothing to moan about
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      An incorrect statement, firstly migration is managed and secondly no-one is being impoverished by it.
                      an unsupported assertion as usual.

Comment

Working...
                      X