• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this Will of the People?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Will of the People?

Bombshell poll reveals massive union backing for new EU vote

Survey of Unite, Unison and GMB members by YouGov reveals 2-1 support for a second Brexit referendum

Members of Britain’s three biggest trade unions now support a new referendum on Brexit by a margin of more than two to one, according to a bombshell poll that will cause political shockwaves on the eve of the party conference season.

The survey of more than 2,700 members of Unite, Unison and the GMB by YouGov, for the People’s Vote campaign, also finds that a clear majority of members of the three unions now back staying in the EU, believing Brexit will be bad for jobs and living standards.

The poll comes as union delegates gather in Manchester for the annual TUC conference, where Brexit will be debated on Monday, and two weeks before the Labour party conference in Liverpool, where delegates are expected to debate and vote on Brexit policy. They will also consider calls to keep open the option of a fresh referendum on any deal Theresa May may strike on the UK’s exit from the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...xit-referendum

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Bombshell poll reveals massive union backing for new EU vote

Survey of Unite, Unison and GMB members by YouGov reveals 2-1 support for a second Brexit referendum

Members of Britain’s three biggest trade unions now support a new referendum on Brexit by a margin of more than two to one, according to a bombshell poll that will cause political shockwaves on the eve of the party conference season.

The survey of more than 2,700 members of Unite, Unison and the GMB by YouGov, for the People’s Vote campaign, also finds that a clear majority of members of the three unions now back staying in the EU, believing Brexit will be bad for jobs and living standards.

The poll comes as union delegates gather in Manchester for the annual TUC conference, where Brexit will be debated on Monday, and two weeks before the Labour party conference in Liverpool, where delegates are expected to debate and vote on Brexit policy. They will also consider calls to keep open the option of a fresh referendum on any deal Theresa May may strike on the UK’s exit from the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...xit-referendum

Well as a fully paid up member of UNITE, for many years now (legacy from my permie days) I can say that no one from YouGov surveyed me about my views. Maybe because it was a selective survey and not all members were asked.

So I would treat this with a pinch of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      Well as a fully paid up member of UNITE, for many years now (legacy from my permie days) I can say that no one from YouGov surveyed me about my views. Maybe because it was a selective survey and not all members were asked.

So I would treat this with a pinch of salt.
      You do realise how polls work don't you? If they asked every member then it wouldn't be a poll it would be a full vote.
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        You do realise how polls work don't you? If they asked every member then it wouldn't be a poll it would be a full vote.
        Much fairer and more democratic to just ask those that will give you the answers you seek to promote.

Why not just go with the result we got when everyone eligible was asked?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Much fairer and more democratic to just ask those that will give you the answers you seek to promote.

Why not just go with the result we got when everyone eligible was asked?

You won, we will never get over it! as some of our ex compatriots like to say.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I can't wait for a real Brexit. Sadly it will never happen.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I can't wait for a real Brexit. Sadly it will never happen.
              Indeed the Chequers deal will become reality. They will keep the agreement sufficiently vague for May to get it through parliament and then stab her in the back after the UK have handed over the money.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                Yes I do realise how polls work, and no just because you poll every member does not make it a full vote. Voting is required to follow the constitutional process, a poll does not. Therefore you can poll every member and it not be a vote. Simples.

My point was the sensationalist use of language in the original post which started with the phase "The members..." implying that every member had been polled, when in reality has only polled a very, very, very, small minority members of the 3 unions (whom the probably found down the pub one Friday night). Sensationalist Journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                  Yes I do realise how polls work, and no just because you poll every member does not make it a full vote. Voting is required to follow the constitutional process, a poll does not. Therefore you can poll every member and it not be a vote. Simples.

My point was the sensationalist use of language in the original post which started with the phase "The members..." implying that every member had been polled, when in reality has only polled a very, very, very, small minority members of the 3 unions (whom they found in a pro EU meeting down the pub one Friday night). Sensationalist Journalism.
                  There you go ftfy

Comment

Asking different groups of people will get you different answers.

Those who liberated Europe from the Axis powers will no doubt have a difference of opinion, as would 'kippers, a bunch of right-on students, etc.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X