• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Without any sense of irony

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    This is the UK. Not Spain.
    Of course, our boys would never take to a civilian with a truncheon.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      One might have expected some sort of condemnation.................after all, they were very quick off the mark when it was the Israelis getting heavy-handed................and that falls way outside their supposed remit.

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-calls-for-u...der/a-43295204
      Then you’re simply not Googling hard enough. Took me less than a minute.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1C712P

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        NLyUK would if the price was right.

Comment

Then you’re simply not Googling hard enough. Took me less than a minute.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1C712P
          from your link;

"Pressed by reporters, Schinas declined to say specifically that the EU was condemning Spanish police tactics, though it was their actions at polling stations on Sunday which mostly shocked fellow Europeans and generated public pressure that saw other governments including Germany and France call for more dialogue."

Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
            from your link;

"Pressed by reporters, Schinas declined to say specifically that the EU was condemning Spanish police tactics, though it was their actions at polling stations on Sunday which mostly shocked fellow Europeans and generated public pressure that saw other governments including Germany and France call for more dialogue."

The question from SB was “might have expected some sort of condemnation”.

There was condemnation of the violence, therefore the question was answered. Sorry if the answer doesn’t meet any more of a narrow interpretation.

Which still doesn’t answer my question: if there was a riot in the U.K. (and there have been a few...) what exactly would you expect the EU to do?

Comment

Don't forget Ian Tomlinson who killed by the police at the London G20 protest.
              Ian was an innocent newspaper seller who was not even in the protest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIgAXMh73a0
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The question from SB was “might have expected some sort of condemnation”.

There was condemnation of the violence, therefore the question was answered. Sorry if the answer doesn’t meet any more of a narrow interpretation.

Which still doesn’t answer my question: if there was a riot in the U.K. (and there have been a few...) what exactly would you expect the EU to do?
                Are you honestly trying to compare a (British) riot, and the Catalans attempting to vote in a referendum???

Let's ask a different question: Do you believe the Spanish police acted with the appropriate level of force, for the situation of citizens (some elderly) trying to write an 'x' on some paper?
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Are you honestly trying to compare a (British) riot, and the Catalans attempting to vote in a referendum???

Let's ask a different question: Do you believe the Spanish police acted with the appropriate level of force, for the situation of citizens (some elderly) trying to write an 'x' on some paper?
                  Perhaps I phrased it clumsily, but you’re still avoiding the question and trying to deflect.

What would you actually expect the EU to do if there was a case of heavy-handedness by UK police?

Once you have your answer to that, then you can apply it to the Spanish question.

Comment

Perhaps I phrased it clumsily, but you’re still avoiding the question and trying to deflect.

What would you actually expect the EU to do if there was a case of heavy-handedness by UK police?

Once you have your answer to that, then you can apply it to the Spanish question.
                    Proportionality....

During the London riots, some police were targeted by some rioters, therefore IF police had become heavy-handed with some of them, I'm pretty confident the silent majority would have said the little scrotes deserved some baton love.

During the Catalan referendum, citizens & the elderly (some with their children) were waiting, queuing and voting by putting pens to paper - which preceded some police violence, which was quite rightfully condemned by most...

Your link stated a spokesperson said;
                    ""Pressed by reporters, Schinas declined to say specifically that the EU was condemning Spanish police tactics"

So, yes, the EU should have roundly condemned the Spanish state (& the police), for using force to interrupt a democratic exercise.

Will you answer my question now?
                    Do you believe the Spanish police acted with the appropriate level of force, for the situation of citizens (some elderly) trying to write an 'x' on some paper?
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Proportionality....

During the London riots, some police were targeted by some rioters, therefore IF police had become heavy-handed with some of them, I'm pretty confident the silent majority would have said the little scrotes deserved some baton love.

During the Catalan referendum, citizens & the elderly (some with their children) were waiting, queuing and voting by putting pens to paper - which preceded some police violence, which was quite rightfully condemned by most...

Your link stated a spokesperson said;
                      ""Pressed by reporters, Schinas declined to say specifically that the EU was condemning Spanish police tactics"

So, yes, the EU should have roundly condemned the Spanish state (& the police), for using force to interrupt a democratic exercise.

Will you answer my question now?
                      Do you believe the Spanish police acted with the appropriate level of force, for the situation of citizens (some elderly) trying to write an 'x' on some paper?
                      So what I’m getting from your answer, is that your only problem with the EU response is that they should have “roundly condemned” the Spanish state and police, rather than just condemning the violence?

That’s it? Just a statement, no further action?

That seems to be slightly different to what OPM was expecting. Which is okay, we all have different opinions of what the appropriate response should have been.

But we’re agreed then that apart from a strongly worded statement there is no other action that the EU could have done. Because Spain is a sovereign country.

Comment

Working...
                      X