• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Farmers clutching at straws

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    "In 2013, the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme was shut down for non-EU workers, by the EU. This was a well-regulated scheme that allowed 30,000 workers to come to the UK outside of the EU. This is one scheme, that, in the event of a vote to leave could be brought back and I am sure there are many non-Europeans that would be willing to work in the UK."

Ooh, who'd have thunk it?
    Who'd have thunk that your quote was disingenuous at best...
    Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme and the Food Processing Sectors Based Scheme - GOV.UK

The Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS) allows fruit and vegetable growers to employ migrant workers from Bulgaria and Romania as seasonal workers for up to six months at a time. It will close, as planned, at the end of 2013. The government does not intend to open any new SAWS for workers from outside the EEA as our view is that, at a time of unemployment in the UK and the European Union there should be sufficient workers from within those labour markets to meet the needs of the horticultural industry. The Agricultural Technologies Strategy will support innovation by agricultural businesses, which will also help to offset future impacts.
    Currently, there is an annual quota of 21,250 SAWS participants. From 1 January 2014, when the transitional labour market controls on Bulgarian and Romanian (EU2) nationals are lifted, growers will have unrestricted access to EU2 workers. Since the controls on the EU8 (the member states that acceded to the European Union in 2004) workers were lifted, those workers have continued to form the core of the seasonal agricultural workforce. At present, UK growers recruit about one third of their seasonal workers from the EU2, and about one half from the EU8.
    Even the favourite source for xenophobes gets it:
    MW393 : The Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme | Migration Watch UK

From January 2008 until its closure at the end of 2013, the scheme was reserved for nationals of Romania and Bulgaria (EU2).
    Just to clarify, the UK's SAWS was not closed by the EU, but was no longer required by the UK, so the UK government closed the scheme.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Who'd have thunk that your quote was disingenuous at best...
      Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme and the Food Processing Sectors Based Scheme - GOV.UK

Even the favourite source for xenophobes gets it:
      MW393 : The Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme | Migration Watch UK

Just to clarify, the UK's SAWS was not closed by the EU, but was no longer required by the UK, so the UK government closed the scheme.
      "In 2013, the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme was shut down for non-EU workers, by the EU. This was a well-regulated scheme that allowed 30,000 workers to come to the UK outside of the EU. This is one scheme, that, in the event of a vote to leave could be brought back and I am sure there are many non-Europeans that would be willing to work in the UK."

Disingenuous how? I'm merely stating a possible reason for some farmers voting the way they did - the EU interfered, again!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Disingenuous how? I'm merely stating a possible reason for some farmers voting the way they did - the EU interfered, again!
        You said that the scheme was shut down by the EU. That is incorrect.

Comment

You said that the scheme was shut down by the EU. That is incorrect.
          I think you'll find that I didn't.

I think on reflection, you'll find that I quoted a paragraph in its entirety.

I think you'll also find that at the time the scheme was shut down, the UK was part of the EU.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I think you'll find that I didn't.

I think on reflection, you'll find that I quoted a paragraph in its entirety.

I think you'll also find that at the time the scheme was shut down, the UK was part of the EU.
            Are you a farmer, cause you're clutching at straws.

You stated something that is incorrect. You tried to Bean your way out of it.

The UK is part of the EU, that does not mean that the UK is the EU. Nor does it mean that when the UK unilaterally introduces its own laws and schemes, or changes its own laws and schemes that it is doing anything other than that - being a sovereign nation within the EU and having control to make or repeal its own laws.

You are a Brexit.

Comment

Are you a farmer, cause you're clutching at straws.

You stated something that is incorrect. You tried to Bean your way out of it.

The UK is part of the EU, that does not mean that the UK is the EU. Nor does it mean that when the UK unilaterally introduces its own laws and schemes, or changes its own laws and schemes that it is doing anything other than that - being a sovereign nation within the EU and having control to make or repeal its own laws.

You are a Brexit.
              Really?

And that means what, exactly?

The point of interest to me is that the UK will be able to re-instate the act, once it has left the EU.

Comment

The point of interest to me is that the UK will be able to re-instate the act, once it has left the EU.

The UK could re-instate it now, if it wanted. In fact...
                New pilot scheme to bring 2,500 seasonal workers to UK farms - GOV.UK

There is no compunction for it to wait until we leave the EU. Why blame the EU for things the UK government and farmers do wrong? Is it because that's easier than actually dealing with problems and coming up with workable solutions?

Comment

The UK could re-instate it now, if it wanted. In fact...
                  New pilot scheme to bring 2,500 seasonal workers to UK farms - GOV.UK

There is no compunction for it to wait until we leave the EU. Why blame the EU for things the UK government and farmers do wrong? Is it because that's easier than actually dealing with problems and coming up with workable solutions?
                  Call it lazy journalism, there's a lot of it about.

Comment

Really?

And that means what, exactly?

Typical Brexiter, blaming the EU for policy decisions made by the UK government. You guys are going to get such a shock when we leave the EU and find none of the rainbows and unicorns promised come to fruition. Reality is going to bite pretty hard for you losers ... oh, sorry, I mean 'winners'.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Reality is going to bite pretty hard .
                      Reality bounces off Brexiteers. They didn't have any firm ideas about Brexit to start with so they won't be disappointed. Brexit will cause diffuse damage. The NHS will perform a little bit worse than it already does. Councils will cut back services. The economy will drag along keeping workers' wages stagnant and of course the Tories will systematically dismantle employment protection. Contractors will be slightly hit by the vastly increased influx of Indians. Farmers will find it tougher competing with American and Australasian meet producers. So plenty of realities but all can be glossed over by our Brexiteer colleagues.

Brexit is like religion. Religion gives you pain all your life in return for a big pay-off when you die. Brexit gives you pain for the next 50 years when, according to JRM, some undefined brave new world will be there for all to see.
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X