• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Brexit: Remain would be ahead in fresh EU referendum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now let me think: who pressed the self destruct button?

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well yes - because it has certainly exposed the true face of the EU and their complete lack of interest in anything but the continuation of their power and a complete lack of interest in the average european citizen.
    Their job is not the interest of the average european citizen. Their job is to coordinate and represent the sovereign powers of the 27 countries. It's not the 'EU' behind anything that upsets you. They have no power except to follow the agreed policies of the countries involved. Those countries have - unanimously - decided the best interests of their citizens are met by preserving the EU and not turning it into a dog's breakfast just because the UK went rogue (largely by accident).

But you make a good point: Brexiteers blame the 'EU' for everthing. They did before and they do now.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      Their job is not the interest of the average european citizen. Their job is to coordinate and represent the sovereign powers of the 27 countries. It's not the 'EU' behind anything that upsets you. They have no power except to follow the agreed policies of the countries involved. Those countries have - unanimously - decided the best interests of their citizens are met by preserving the EU and not turning it into a dog's breakfast just because the UK went rogue (largely by accident).

But you make a good point: Brexiteers blame the 'EU' for everthing. They did before and they do now.
      For the benefit of who?

And why do they get to choose over someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        The people I know who voted Brexit are annoyed at what has been going on, about all the problems that they now see will occur, and have no idea how we will get out of this mess.

But they are absolutely as committed and passionate about leaving as before. More so, if anything.
        And that is the strange thing ... they are seeing the many truths come to fruition, and are starting to see that they will be worse off, and so will their friends and families, but they are so fanatical about the 'religion' of brexit that nothing can sway them.

Fanatics are fanatics.
        Last edited by Whorty; 1 October 2018, 18:45.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Well yes - because it has certainly exposed the true face of the UK and their complete lack of interest in anything but the continuation of their power and a complete lack of interest in the average British citizen.
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
            Agreed, although I can only base my opinion on what has been reported in the UK press. It appear that the UK beaurocrats don't care about anything other than their own egos and power.
            FTFY

Comment

For the benefit of who?

And why do they get to choose over someone else?
              Are you really as dim as you come across?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                Are you really as dim as you come across?
                Possibly.

Why do you think that someone you have never met or you have ever voted for gives a fook about the conditions you and your family live under?

As long as they get rich.

Are you really as naive as you come across?

Comment

Why do you think that someone you have never met or you have ever voted for gives a fook about the conditions you and your family live under?
                  Have you ever met Theresa May or voted for her?

Have you ever met Boris Johnson or voted for him?

What are you on about? It's irrelevant whether you voted for someone. As long as there is a democratic process behind the appointments (why do you think there are elections for MEPs?) you need to judge people on the legitimacy of their actions. As I said earlier, whoever these people are and however they got there, they only represent the EU governments. They can't say anything unless it is agreed by democratic governments. Get away from this ridiculous idea that they are power mad aliens. They may be power mad but they have no scope to do anything that is not ratified.

It's not you saving Little England from evil Brussels bureacrats. It's you versus 26 other countries and all their democratic institutions.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Even Farage's Leave Means Leave poll has come out in favour of sticking it to him 🤣
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Possibly.

As long as they get rich.

Are you really as naive as you come across?
                      Exactly, I don't think the people I vote for give much of a fook for me or my family. I look at what the party is offering (as many individuals in a party have pretty much zero impact on policy), try to work out which are lies and which are possible, then put my cross against the local representative of that party.

The problem with you Brexiters is you see the EU leaders as the bad guys, and you forget that our MPs are just as bad. What the EU does though is adds the checks and balances to our parliament ensuring that they don't abuse their power too much. Take away these checks and balances and you end up with someone like Trump who can introduce laws that immoral and unethical at best.

Comment

Working...
                      X