• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How about we do a merger with the Republic of Ireland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Because most of them would instigate a break up of the UK. If the EU supports a break up of the UK then it should come out and say it, and equally support the break up of Spain and France.
    The EU does not support a break up to the EU or a break up of the UK. Is that something you believe?

The UK is the one which wants a break up of the EU, but doesn't want to accept any responsibility or come up with any viable solutions.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      The EU does not support a break up to the EU or a break up of the UK. Is that something you believe?

The UK is the one which wants a break up of the EU, but doesn't want to accept any responsibility or come up with any viable solutions.
      Doesn't the EU solution support a hard border down the Irish Sea leaving NI closely aligned to Eire. How is that not breaking up the UK?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Doesn't the EU solution support a hard border down the Irish Sea leaving NI closely aligned to Eire. How is that not breaking up the UK?

It's not breaking up the UK as NI will still be in the UK
        Don't forget it's you brexit voters who caused all this tulip, you won get over it

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          It's not breaking up the UK as NI will still be in the UK
          Don't forget it's you brexit voters who caused all this tulip, you won get over it
          Now try answering the question providing a reasoned rational argument as to how a hard border down the Irish Sea will not ultimately lead to the break up of the UK, specifically NI from the rest of the UK.

Comment

Now try answering the question providing a reasoned rational argument as to how a hard border down the Irish Sea will not up to.ately lead to the break up of the UK, specifically NI from the rest of the UK.
            You're choosing to ignore the actual question:
            How does the UK leave the EU without having a border with Ireland?

That's the simple question.
            Why is there an obsession with some to turn everything into a "how can we blame the EU for the monumentally idiotic decision we voted for?"

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              You're choosing to ignore the actual question:
              How does the UK leave the EU without having a border with Ireland?

That's the simple question.
              Why is there an obsession with some to turn everything into a "how can we blame the EU for the monumentally idiotic decision we voted for?"
              Eire is part of the EU. We are leaving the EU. Therefore we will have a border with Eire as it is, and will continue to be, part of the EU. This isn't something new. The EU has other land borders with other non EU countries.

I am not blaming the EU as you claim I am simply asking for a reasoned response to my question.

Comment

Eire is part of the EU. We are leaving the EU. Therefore we will have a border with Eire as it is, and will continue to be, part of the EU. This isn't something new. The EU has other land borders with other non EU countries.

I am not blaming the EU as you claim I am simply asking for a reasoned response to my question.
                Why do you call Ireland Eire, do you call Bulgaria България or Scotland Alba?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Why do you call Ireland Eire, do you call Bulgaria България or Scotland Alba?
                  because I CBA to type Ireland. Eire and fewer letters in it. I call the UK the UK for exactly the same reason I CBA to type United Kingdom. Same argument applies to the EU. I admit I don't have a shortened form for Bulgaria so I will unfortunately have to stick with Bulgaria.

Comment

Assuming the UK leaves the CU and SM the logical thing would be for there to be a hard border between NI and Ireland.
                    What issues would that cause do you think?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

The EU is not breaking up the UK. The UK is breaking away from the EU. The UK held a referendum and the people who voted to leave the EU and those who convinced them to vote that way have failed to come up with a solution to the Irish border problem.

The Leave camp are very quiet on this, because they do not live in the world of tangible solutions, only in the blaming of others.

The EU is proposing options for backstop solutions until such times as the UK comes up with a workable solution that somehow gets round the UK's desire to have a hard border with the Republic of Ireland while at the same time having no such border.

There must be a solution in place, or Brexit cannot happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X