• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How about we do a merger with the Republic of Ireland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You mean have freedom of movement of goods, services and people between the UK and EU?
    Not people. ID is required to travel by aircraft or ferry between NI and mainland UK so can bounce back EU undesirables easy enough. They'll love the craic in Ireland anyway.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Hard brexit and a hard border between RoI and NI. Then don't enforce the hard border. What's the EU going to do, kick out RoI? Sorted.
      Probably yes, as low quality inferior British products will be illegally entering the common market through that open border if they don't do anything about it as well as non EU citizen (Brits) will illegally and uncontrolled cross into EU territory. As Ireland will be most likely joining Schengen in case of a hard border this cannot be allowed.

Comment

Not people. ID is required to travel by aircraft or ferry between NI and mainland UK so can bounce back EU undesirables easy enough. They'll love the craic in Ireland anyway.

So you're saying yes to a hard border for people?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

So you're saying yes to a hard border for people?
          More like a big moat. Same as what we'll have with the English Channel.

i.e. EU peeps are free to go to NI but if they want to go further they better be good swimmers.

A points based system to allow in those with favoured skills, such as fruit picking, or enough bags of cash will solve it easy enough. Works for many other countries not sucked into the EU superstate project.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

More like a big moat. Same as what we'll have with the English Channel.

i.e. EU peeps are free to go to NI but if they want to go further they better be good swimmers.

A points based system to allow in those with favoured skills, such as fruit picking, or enough bags of cash will solve it easy enough. Works for many other countries not sucked into the EU superstate project.
            How about if our country controlled migration, say by allowing people to come to the country for up to 3 months without the need of a visa, etc (e.g. for a holiday)
            If they wanted to stay longer than 3 months, they'd need to prove they had sufficient resources for themselves and their family so as not to be a burden on the UK's welfare system, and to have comprehensive sickness insurance cover.
            If they wanted to stay longer than 3 months they'd need to register with the relevant authorities
            If they behave in a way that seriously threatens the UK's fundamental interests, they could be deported

Would that be OK to you?

Comment

I don't see why it's such an issue in Ireland but not at other points on the edge of the EU. When I worked in Switzerland I never once had anybody stop me when I made my twice daily trip over the border between France and Switzerland - presumably Switzerland has some special arrangement with the EU! I had to have a visa to work there and was once asked for it (in 14 months) as I was flying in one morning. Only to be told it was out of date and then was waived through.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

How about if our country controlled migration, say by allowing people to come to the country for up to 3 months without the need of a visa, etc (e.g. for a holiday)
                If they wanted to stay longer than 3 months, they'd need to prove they had sufficient resources for themselves and their family so as not to be a burden on the UK's welfare system, and to have comprehensive sickness insurance cover.
                If they wanted to stay longer than 3 months they'd need to register with the relevant authorities
                If they behave in a way that seriously threatens the UK's fundamental interests, they could be deported

Would that be OK to you?

That's too sensible. The root of the problem is why the government haven't already placed restrictions on freedom of movement in line with what the EU allows, as mentioned up thread.

It's all smoke and mirrors. The puppetmasters are playing by their own rules and they have the UK population bickering instead of seeking out the truth. i.e. The government aren't interested in what's best for Britain but what's best for themselves and those that lobby them with incentives in the form of directorships and post government jobs.

So I don't take this thread or anything relating to it seriously as it's all out of our hands. Even a vote is not adhered to as it doesn't fit their agenda.

Comment

That's too sensible. The root of the problem is why the government haven't already placed restrictions on freedom of movement in line with what the EU allows, as mentioned up thread.
                  It's exactly what the EU allows.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                    I was just having a think re Brexit. The problem with the Irish border could be elegantly resolved if the UK merged with the Republic of Ireland to become one sovereign nation, outside of the EU.
                    Called the UKIB (the United Kingdom of Ireland and Britain), the seat of government would move from London to Dublin, leaving London to take over most business and financial work. Irish MPs would only be distinguished from British MPs by virtue of the location of their constituencies, not their nationality. The five constituent countries (northern Ireland, southern Ireland, England, Scotland, wales) would remain in place.
                    It would respect the good Friday agreement by not having a border between northern Ireland or the UK or southern Ireland. It would satisfy the desire by Sinn Fein and the Catholics for a united Ireland. It would keep the DUP happy, because they would remain in the same country as their beloved Great Britain.

At the moment, around 40% of Irish people are in favour of leaving the EU, according to the last poll in 2012 I think, and that figure is rising.

Makes sense don't you think? You heard it first here. Init?
                    I take it you bunked off history lessons, we tried something similar in the past and it didn't work out so well.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      I take it you bunked off history lessons, we tried something similar in the past and it didn't work out so well.
                      Britain has owned Ireland in the past, and it didn't work out in the end.
                      What I had in mind was a merger, with the constituent parts having a weighted average of political power.
                      In fact, it would solve the problem if Ireland could get a move on and leave the EU as we are doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X