• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German car firms were meant to make sure we got a good Brexit deal. What happened?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    So you are informing us all that powertrain design, as you stated, does not significantly improving the design of Changan cars.
    No, I am saying that 2% of the R&D team is not a significant number.

Please, please refrain from posting childish insults. It does nothing to add to the discussion and debate. Or I may have to knock you teeth so far down your throat you'll have to shove a toothbush up your a*se to clean them.
    You started it by asking me a question and answering it in the same post - claiming that I didn't know the answer.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

We have engineered some of the best cars in the world. Our problem is that we were never any good at making a business out of it. This was sometimes due to political interference, sometimes due to board level infighting. I was read a book documenting the story of the creation of British Leyland and it ultimate demise due to board level infighting leading to a lack of direction over which models/badges get the next new model and a certain amount of political interference in how BL was created in the first place, which didn't help with the former.
      British car manufactures relied on a monopoly of selling cars to the British Empire and Commonwealth. Once countries gained independence they bought Japanese cars.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        British car manufactures relied on a monopoly of selling cars to the British Empire and Commonwealth. Once countries gained independence they bought Japanese cars.
        Indeed. Even in the ex-British colonies in Africa, British cars were considered unreliable.
        In the 60s and 70 Peugeots (models 404 and 504) were ubiqitous in ex-British colonies because they were considered much more reliable on their rough roads than British Fords or Austins - then the Japanese cars improved and they started buying those instead.

Is the Peugeot 504 reaching its end as Africa's workhorse? - latimes
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          No, I am saying that 2% of the R&D team is not a significant number.
          In terms of what, staffing levels?

2% of the staff may be doing the majority of the work, according to the Pareto principle.

You're assuming the work is relatively evenly spread out across all team members globally.
          (When we know, that rarely is work evenly spread out between staff within 1 office, let alone multiple offices)
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
            In terms of what, staffing levels?

2% of the staff may be doing the majority of the work, according to the Pareto principle.

You're assuming the work is relatively evenly spread out across all team members globally.
            (When we know, that rarely is work evenly spread out between staff within 1 office, let alone multiple offices)
            2% of the team are working on powertrain design. That means the engine.

98% are working on other areas of research and development outside of powertrain design. These include body shell, transmission, suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, interior design.

I'm not assuming the work is relatively evenly spread, I am stating that 2% of the R&D team are working on the engines.

Yorkie was of the opinion that I had no idea what R&D was going on in the UK for this particular company, but he also believed that the UK R&D team was "drastically improving" the design of the cars.
            The UK R&D team works with other teams internationally to develop the overall design of the cars. As yet the UK team has not come out with any drastic improvements - they're still using the 3 and 4 cylinder engines although they may get better designs through in the future as their chief designer is ex-Cosworth. It will be interesting to see the plans going forward and how much they go for in-house design of hybrid and electric engines, how much they leverage their associations with Ford, Isuzu, Mazda, PSA and Suzuki.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Pareto is 80-20, you fooking moron

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                And he's most definitely in the 80, like his fellow Brexiters
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You need to read beyond the headline of the principle, before spouting off about others being morons...
                    Originally posted by Old Greg
                    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

The average EU tariff is 2%. Bearing in mind the pound has already gone down 10+% , do you think we will notice an extra 2% on the price of a BMW. Or care a jot?

And remember 50% of the population didn't support Brexit so they are hardly going to buy Reliants in support of the British Impoverishment Project?

Renault/Nissan and BMW will be hit by the need to relocate UK production back into the EU, and losing money on their UK investments, but everyone knew all along Brexit was going to cause a lot of trouble but all along everyone accepted it was just one of those things. The 27 countries are fully aware of the problems and don't need Renault or BMW to remind them. It's just they can't do much about it if the Brexiteers insist on self immolation.
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X