• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard Brexit survival guide, and a silver lining

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    No, it doesn’t require EU permission to progress. It requires agreement between the two parties to the contract, just like any other contract. Of course the U.K. can’t remove it unilaterally, it’s a border between two parties. As for the first time in history, so what? About time the U.K. got a taste of what it has imposed on other countries around the world previously. Thought we held all the cards, though?

As soon as the promised technological solution is invented and implemented then the U.K. is golden. And, of course, if the technological solution is not possible to deliver and/or does not do what it is promised to do, will you be holding those Brexiter politicians that say that it can be done to account?

Here, here, I commend this statement to the house.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      The biggest issue with the backstop is that it requires EU permission to progress beyond it and doesn't give enough clarity over what is required to ensue EU would be willing to move on from the backstop. i.e. The UK cannot change the backstop unilaterally so are at mercy of the EU that could force the UK to remain in their pocket 'forever'.

I've seen it printed that this would be the first time in UK history that it was locked into such an agreement and is reminiscent to what Germany agreed to after WWI, leading to the rise of Hitler and WWII by way of breaking international law to get out of that bad deal for Germany. So a bit rich if the EU cannot see that and expect the UK to agree to similar.

Don't worry though, we have the 5 musketeers inside government preparing to talk May around to at least trying to get the draft wording changed so things like a technological based frictionless RoI/NI border solution (billions in IT projects, kerching ) or a free trade deal would allow the UK to progress beyond the backstop.
      If the UK wishes to withdraw from the backstop at any point, parliament retains the power to do so instantaneously with a single act of parliament. It would mean crashing out of agreements with the EU but that shouldn't scare a buccaneering nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        If the UK wishes to withdraw from the backstop at any point, parliament retains the power to do so instantaneously with a single act of parliament. It would mean crashing out of agreements with the EU but that shouldn't scare a buccaneering nation.
        Quite. But in the meantime UK is not allowed to arrange trade deals outside the EU so however they leave the backstop is no better than just doing a hard brexit in the first place.

I suppose the transition period of remaining in the EU allows time to put in place hard brexit plans that they haven't bothered to work on this time around. Back to seeing if the EU collapses before the UK.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hard Brexit is the no-brainer, takes an Aussie to spell it out...

Tony Abbott: How to save Brexit | The Spectator

Freed from EU rules, Britain would automatically revert to world trade, using rules agreed by the World Trade Organization. It works pretty well for Australia. So why on earth would it not work just as well for the world’s fifth-largest economy?

A world trade Brexit lets Britain set its own rules. It can say, right now, that it will not impose any tariff or quota on European produce and would recognise all EU product standards. That means no border controls for goods coming from Europe to Britain. You don’t need to negotiate this: just do it.
          Next, the UK should declare that Europeans already living here should have the right to remain permanently — and, of course, become British citizens if they wish. This should be a unilateral offer. Again, you don’t need a deal. You don’t need Michel Barnier’s permission.
          Third, there should continue to be free movement of people from Europe into Britain — but with a few conditions. Only for work, not welfare.
          Fourth, no ‘divorce bill’ whatsoever should be paid to Brussels.
          Finally, there’s no need on Britain’s part for a hard border with Ireland. Britain wouldn’t be imposing tariffs on European goods, so there’s no money to collect. The UK has exactly the same product standards as the Republic, so let’s not pretend you need to check for problems we all know don’t exist.
          Make it so.

Anyone know if he speaks the truth or should we rely on our self serving politicians to 'do what is in the country's best interests'?

Comment

Make it so.

Anyone know if he speaks the truth or should we rely on our self serving politicians to 'do what is in the country's best interests'?
            Tony Abbott needs to read up on WTO for a start and Britain already trades under WTO rules, as a member of the EU which means that all those agreements that the EU have with third countries would have to be renegotiated again from a UK-restofworld perspective and who's to say the restofworld want to listen?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Make it so.

So if the UK simply allows EU goods in without tariffs unilaterally why should the EU offer the same in return

The other thing he ignores is you can't simply reduce or raise tariffs for one country unilaterally, so simply having fun raising tariffs at will to "punish" the EU is against WTO rules. The UK can only decide on a common set of tariffs that apply to all countries. The same of course applies to EU and the "punishment tariffs" everyone talks about are nothing more than the ones the EU applies to all countries without a trade deal. The "punishment" Brexiteers bang on about is simply an empty worthless slogan.

If the UK does want to apply pressure by reducing tariffs through trade deals with other countries it will take years to agree those trade deals. With a no deal the UK will be unique as the only country without any trade deal. Australia does not trade purely on WTO terms it has trade deals.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Tony Abbott needs to read up on WTO for a start and Britain already trades under WTO rules, as a member of the EU
                Looks like it is YOU that needs to read up on the WTO. It came into being as the new version of GATT, an organisation that the UK was a member of since 1947 and we simply transitioned from there into the WTO. Even you will be able to see that our membership predates our joining the EU.

which means that all those agreements that the EU have with third countries would have to be renegotiated again from a UK-restofworld perspective
                Doesn't mean that at all you delusional fookwit.

and who's to say the restofworld want to listen?
                Yeah I am sure that the rest of the world's bureaucrats are just itching to invent ways of preventing mutually beneficial trade agreements being kept in place.

You really need to cut back on the hard drugs and get yourself a life. You are beyond parody now.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Looks like it is YOU that needs to read up on the WTO. It came into being as the new version of GATT, an organisation that the UK was a member of since 1947 and we simply transitioned from there into the WTO. Even you will be able to see that our membership predates our joining the EU.

Doesn't mean that at all you delusional fookwit.

Yeah I am sure that the rest of the world's bureaucrats are just itching to invent ways of preventing mutually beneficial trade agreements being kept in place.

You really need to cut back on the hard drugs and get yourself a life. You are beyond parody now.

Another useless post from a loser...
                  Last edited by darmstadt; 18 November 2018, 14:48. Reason: Forgot to add gammon snowflake
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Another post that debunks my delusional ramblings. I really am SUCH a loser...
                    ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

France and Spain already showing their intentions for future trade deal demands

The EU nations are already starting to show their intentions to what will happen during the transition period if May's deal is accepted by parliament.

They will use the threat of the backstop and perpetual 'in EU but without any power' (where EU insist this state to continue to access the single market) to blackmail the UK over individual nation's interests (France fishing rights, Spain Gibraltar, ... the rest to come out of the woodwork once May's deal is legally binding). Any one nation can 'veto' the future trade deal so these demands must be resolved. We've seen with the 'negotiations' so far how that will likely go, with UK conceding on all major points as the government is led by business wanting access to the single market.

Only way forward is a hard brexit no deal.

Yet we are likely to get a second referendum following defeat of May's deal, so people will vote to stay in the EU and surrender to the EU 'borg'. Resistance is futile. You can check out but you can never leave.

Comment

Working...
                      X