• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit deal 'better than staying in EU' says Philip Hammond

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    He's saying that because he knows it makes no difference. He can look loyal whilst being 100% confident not a single person will take any notice.

We all know that the next stage is Referendum II - Return of the EU
    I think it's more like to be membership of the EEA, which is basically what Labour are pushing for, to "respect" the vote of the referendum.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      I think it's more like to be membership of the EEA, which is basically what Labour are pushing for, to "respect" the vote of the referendum.

That’s not going to happen.

May has set out the red lines for the U.K., agreed and cheered on by the Brexiters. She’s not going to all of a sudden reverse her stance and say that FoM and ECJ are now no longer red lines.

This agreement is the natural conclusion of those red lines.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        That’s not going to happen.

May has set out the red lines for the U.K., agreed and cheered on by the Brexiters. She’s not going to all of a sudden reverse her stance and say that FoM and ECJ are now no longer red lines.

This agreement is the natural conclusion of those red lines.
        You can't always get what you want sometimes you have to compromise.

If May fails and the UK is heading for a no deal, it would be the only alternative with a majority in parliament. Labour, the SNP and 50 Tory MP's would see it passed. Whether May would be the prime minister is another matter.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          You can't always get what you want sometimes you have to compromise.

If May fails and the UK is heading for a no deal, it would be the only alternative with a majority in parliament. Labour, the SNP and 50 Tory MP's would see it passed. Whether May would be the prime minister is another matter.
          Is there anything in May’s history that suggests that she will back down or compromise on FoM? Her track record at the Home Office suggests not. Sorry, but May is throwing UK citizens that now or in the future want to live and work in the EU under the bus to get what she wants.

Which only leaves whether or not she will be PM.

There is no time left for a general election, and no viable candidate to replace her. Without a GE there is no mandate for EEA, and even with a GE this would require that EEA be put forward as an option in a manifesto. It’s possible, but wishful thinking.

This agreement is the only one that fulfils the red lines. May’s red lines, that Brexiters supported in full when they were drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Whereabouts on the radio this morning did I hear virtually that same quote (and it wasn't a Brexit reference)?
            Shhhhhh......got to protect my sources.

Danny Baker on Radio 5?
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
            X