• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Norway Plus option then...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Not entirely correct that it fulfils the Brexit vote.

EEA means
    The European Economic Area (EEA) is the area in which the Agreement on the EEA provides for the free movement of persons, goods, services and capital within the European Single Market, including the freedom to choose residence in any country within this area

Therefore one of the key elements of Brexit, as stated by T. May, is control of our borders and the removal of free movement of people, is not fulfilled by being in the EEA and therefore it does not fulfil the Brexit vote.
    I don’t really care what T May did or did not say. I voted on whether we stay in or leave the EU, there were no qualifiers or other terms and conditions on my ballot paper.

Comment

Yes and as you are so well informed could you please articulate what each of the options meant.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
      You shouldn't have voted since you clearly did not understand the option you voted for

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
      Leave the European Union

What do you think "Leave the European Union" means?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Leave means Leave

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Leave the European Union
          Surely there must have been something written down spelling out exactly what this meant?

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
            Surely there must have been something written down spelling out exactly what this meant?
            Yes, in pictures for the stupidest of Brexiteers -

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
              We're members of the European Union through being a party to the founding treaty of the union. Membership consists of many rights and obligations, including the single market, customs union, freedom of movement, etc. Leaving the EU means that we leave the membership, including leaving all rights and obligations. Leave really does mean leave, which is the "No Deal" situation.

What the UK still hasn't got it's head around is what kind of a future relationship it wants. EEA, for example, is available through the EEA agreement which also confers certain rights and obligations, including access to the single market, a customs union, freedom of movement, etc.

Therefore, joining the EEA/EFTA requires us to leave the EU (and to leave everything) and to join a different treaty which may have nearly all the same rights and obligations. If we do this then technically the brief has been fulfilled where we have left the EU (by leaving the founding treaty); we have just concurrently decided to join another treaty that looks similar but is not the EU.

But No Deal is the default.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge
                Nowhere in the European Union Referendum Act 2015 does it say that "Leave the European Union" has to end free movement of people etc.

European Union Referendum Act 2015
                Doh!
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Yes and as you are so well informed could you please articulate what each of the options meant.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                  One meant leaving the EU. The other meant remaining in the EU.

See if you can work out which of these alternatives encompasses leaving the EU and joining EFTA.

There is a clue in there for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    One meant leaving the EU. The other meant remaining in the EU.

See if you can work out which of these alternatives encompasses leaving the EU and joining EFTA.

There is a clue in there for you!
                    Brexit stupidity is making me split my sides. Again
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Brexit stupidity is making me split my sides. Again
                      It's a fascinating insight into human stupidity. It reminds me of some wiritngs of Churchill, from a somewhat different historical context of course:

The multitudes remained plunged in ignorance of the simplest economic facts, and their leaders, seeking their votes, did not dare to undeceive them. The newspapers, after their fashion, reflected and emphasised the prevailing opinions.

Comment

Working...
                      X