• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Norway Plus option then...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You mean they are replying to insults - like yours in that post - with insults?

Any time an intelligent discussion has been started, it gets derailed by those who are only interested in insulting and have little interest in debating.

Over 2 years have passed since the vote. “We” haven’t left and “we” haven’t done anything to sort out what we would actually do about important parts of life outside the EU. E.g. Open Skies, EurAtom, Irish Border, etc.
    If you’d care to discuss those in a civil manner, you might find there are others on here who will too. But if you’re going to claim that one side can only ever resort to insults rather than reasoned argument and discussion, you may as well say that everything wrong with the world is the fault of those who voted for remain, the EU and all foreigners.
    Please please tell me why I would think that as you say, everything is the fault of those that voted remain, the EU, and FOREIGNERS?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      No I mean that almost every post put on here that has a different opinion to someone who voted remain gets a reply that, from many of those with a remain view, they are a cretin, stupid, unintelligent morons.
      Yesintelligent discussions on here do get derailed by those in the remain camp who think their view is the only view and anybody with a different view is a moron and a cretin.
      I don't think anyone with a different view is a moron or a cretin.
      I think anyone with an ill-informed, poorly-thought-out view, with no evidence of numeracy or judgement is a moron or a cretin.
      For example taking fishing (0.05% of the British economy) as being of any importance to the big picture UK economy.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I think anyone with an ill-informed, poorly-thought-out view, with no evidence of numeracy or judgement is a moron or a cretin.
        For example taking fishing (0.05% of the British economy) as being of any importance to the big picture UK economy.
        Fishing and fishing rights is just one example of how the Franco-German EU screws the UK over.

You have demonstrated my point for me in you post Thank you. As you clearly state your opinion that someone has an ill-formed, poorly thought out view, with no evidence of numeracy or judgement is just that, and only that, YOUR OPINION. On the basis of YOUR OPINION what right do you have to insult another person that just happens to hold a different opinion to yourself. NONE WHAT SO EVER.

Comment

Used to be about 0.5% once, before we handed away rights to our waters. Still hardly a lot but maybe those fishermen deserves some consideration. As for numeracy, those in favour of free migration can never see that the figures they trot out showing net benefit in terms of taxes and NI or growth in GDP are a fraction of the population increase. Not that the figures are accurate anyway, never seen any that take account of the cost of educating kids born here or the loss to the UK economy of remittances sent abroad.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Fishing and fishing rights is just one example of how the Franco-German EU screws the UK over.

You have demonstrated my point for me in you post Thank you. As you clearly state your opinion that someone has an ill-formed, poorly thought out view, with no evidence of numeracy or judgement is just that, and only that, YOUR OPINION. On the basis of YOUR OPINION what right do you have to insult another person that just happens to hold a different opinion to yourself. NONE WHAT SO EVER.

Oooh, capital letters, definitely the first signs of someone who is getting annoyed
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

It's not my opinion that fishing is 0.05% of the economy.
              It's a fact.
              That's why I think that people who go on about it while ignoring larger effects on the economy are morons.

HTH, BIDI, TSLITH.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

It's not my opinion that fishing is 0.05% of the economy.
                It's a fact.
                That's why I think that people who go on about it while ignoring larger effects on the economy are morons.

HTH, BIDI, TSLITH.
                Never disputed that fact, but as has already been said in this thread it used to be 10x that size before we gave away our fishing rights which as an island nation must be held with some importance.
                I don't deny that the UK economy has many facits, but to quote the effects on those aspects of the economy as facts is simply wrong when those so called facts are based on modelling and guesswork. Particularly true when that modelling was aimed at stress testing and therefore used as it's basis a worst case scenario. The truth is no one actually knows what the effect will be until it happens. My opinion is that long term there will be little overall effect as the UK economy is but a small part of the Global economy in which we now live.

Comment

There are myths and then there is the truth:

Immigration decline costing UK economy billions

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Can you explain why less people coming into the country with their hand out is costing us money?

Comment

My opinion is that long term there will be little overall effect as the UK economy is but a small part of the Global economy in which we now live.

Well here's an example of the poor logic I was highlighting earlier.
                      You're right, when you say "the UK economy is but a small part of the Global economy in which we now live". (It's about 3% actually).
                      What logically follows from that is that what happens to the UK will not much affect the global economy.
                      But the reverse is not necessarily true.
                      We can make our economy an even smaller percentage of the global economy by the wrong choices.
                      With a huge impact on the UK.

That poor logic accounts for the primary mistake made at the start of the negotiations : "They need us more than we need them".
                      No they don't. Yes they'll suffer, but we'll suffer more. It's all about relative sizes.

And this sort of unincisive and poor thinking is typical of Brexiters, which is why I call them morons.

Next!
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X