• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ECJ judgement is out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    And how does the UK unilaterally revoking A50 fulfil the referendum result?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Ref was advisory so could be legally ignored

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
      Add in an AndyW option and you may be on to something.
      It won’t be legally binding without it!

Comment

ECJ got decision wrong - extending A50 explicitly requires consent of all member states, but if the state can revoke it then it can give it again thereby effectively extending it by 2 years, unless ECJ says that withdrawal means you can’t use it for 50 years it’s a sham decision

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
          And how does the UK unilaterally revoking A50 fulfil the referendum result?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
          :::

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Tory Scum won’t revoke it - the wants to use their only scummy chance to leave EU, whatever the cost

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              ECJ got decision wrong - extending A50 explicitly requires consent of all member states, but if the state can revoke it then it can give it again thereby effectively extending it by 2 years, unless ECJ says that withdrawal means you can’t use it for 50 years it’s a sham decision
              There's nothing explicit about it. The ECJ has simply confirmed that member states have sovereignty, that it is a member state's sole decision as to whether they leave or not, and they cannot be pushed out of the EU if they change their minds.

On the face of it there is a possibility that a member state can revoke and then reinstate the notice to trigger another two years, but in practice this would be even worse for that member state - they would be showing the world that they are not negotiating in good faith. This isn't Del Boy down the Peckham market....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                There's nothing explicit about it. The ECJ has simply confirmed that member states have sovereignty, that it is a member state's sole decision as to whether they leave or not, and they cannot be pushed out of the EU if they change their minds.

On the face of it there is a possibility that a member state can revoke and then reinstate the notice to trigger another two years, but in practice this would be even worse for that member state - they would be showing the world that they are not negotiating in good faith. This isn't Del Boy down the Peckham market....
                Extension rules are explicit, “withdraw-issue A50 again” is a loophole that was never intended, ECJ just gave invitation to chancers to invoke A50 in order to black mail EU basically

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Extension rules are explicit, “withdraw-issue A50 again” is a loophole that was never intended, ECJ just gave invitation to chancers to invoke A50 in order to black mail EU basically
                  Sorry, I misread the difference between "extending" and "revoking".

My point still stands though - although in theory this might be possible, in practice it's not that simple. In order to revoke there is legislation that needs to be repealed in Parliament, and the legal opinions on who can actually revoke are still being discussed (Parliament, or Government on it's own).

If it was revoked then we would need to revisit the same roads again to retrigger it - Parliament authorising it to be triggered, new Withdrawal Acts through HoC and HoL, etc. There might be a few in the ERG that would contemplate this, but not 650 MPs plus the HoL plus the Queen. Anyone contemplating it would need to be prepared for a bigger constitutional crisis than the tulipfest that we already have.

Comment

It may not be possible in UK, but it’s time bomb for EU - won’t take long before some nutters in Italy trigger it knowing they can cancel it easily.

ECJ really fooked up this one

By extension it means NOW EU won’t give in at all to prevent future blackmail

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                      The EU hasn't. The EU were opposed to this decision. But the ECJ has tried to bail us out.

If the EU didn't want revocation, then it should have put it into Article 50. Interestingly, because Article 50 is silent on revocation, that normally means therefore there is no intention to permit revocation. So the advocate general relied on the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties to establish a precedent. I expect an appeal.
                      According to The Times, there is no possibility of appeal.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X