• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jaguar Land Rover to 'axe up to 5,000 jobs'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    For every Brit who won't buy an EU built car there are 10 EU citizens who won't be buying cars or more or less anything from British tw*ts in the UK,

You see this is the problem with protectionism.

Well I imagine the french will keep buying French cars, the germans will keep buying german cars, the italians will keep driving italian cars...

etc etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Well I imagine the french will keep buying French cars, the germans will keep buying german cars, the italians will keep driving italian cars...

etc etc etc
      Yes but they also buy British cars. in fact there is a show room full of British cars just around the corner from our office.

This is a painful lesson the British are about to learn.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes but they also buy British cars. in fact there is a show room full of British cars just around the corner from our office.

Just ban car imports from the EU. Simples.

Next.....

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
          Just ban car imports from the EU. Simples.

Next.....
          You can't, WTO rules.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Do many people in the EU buy british cars?

I mean which makes re truly British? Vauxhall - but that's just GM and represented by Opel in Europe?

Not really sure sales of Bentley will really be affected.

or McLaren or that matter

Comment

Which British cars are they? McLaren, TVR, Morgan? Most other British brands are now foreign owned. If you mean built in Britain then globalisation will mean the work goes where the costs make sense. UK will lower corp tax to offset any trade tariffs, or offer other sweeteners to keep UK manufacturers on side if it comes down to it.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I mean which makes re truly British? Vauxhall - but that's just GM and represented by Opel in Europe?

Vauxhall/Opel is now owned by Peugeot-Citroen

Sales of Bentley (Owned by VW) or Rolls Royce (owned by BMW) won't be affected, I suppose, but it's a niche market , which has hardly any impact on the UK economy

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Vauxhall/Opel is now owned by Peugeot-Citroen

Sales of Bentley (Owned by VW) or Rolls Royce (owned by BMW) won't be affected, I suppose, but it's a niche market , which has hardly any impact on the UK economy
                  So there you go then..

Morgan, Caterham and McLaren are the only UK owned and run car companies according to this

John Redwood mocked for telling people to buy non-existent British cars | Politics | The Guardian

Comment

The public are waiting for the Wetherspoons Britcar MK1....
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      The public are waiting for the Wetherspoons Britcar MK1....
                      Not really - I do not think Brexit will really impact the cars people buy.

Comment

Working...
                      X