• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK to spend £108m on no-deal ferries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    This process is like getting a child to use a knife and fork. With you and most of the folk on this sub forum we are still on the spoon doing plane noises....

zooomy zoom zoom...

European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018
    You keep believing that. Parliament has the power to make and change laws. If the desire is there, they can extend A50 to ensure there is not a no deal. May's deal won't get through, this seems pretty sure; either the EU concedes something (possible, but not likely), we fall into no deal (no stomach for this in parliament) or we extend A50 and a cross party group arrange a deal that is acceptable to parliament (possible, but will the EU want this ... unless Norway or Canada are on the table).

Hard to call which way it could go. I've bought in extra popcorn for the show

Whatever happens, the next few years is going to be a crazy gravy train for us contractors
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
      Jan and Feb will just be delays. May is delaying.

March she will try to twist parliaments arm.
      This will only work though if no deal is still possible. If parliament remove the option of no deal, then all the pressure goes back on May and she will have lost her blackmail position with the MPs.

Popcorn time

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        You keep believing that. Parliament has the power to make and change laws. If the desire is there, they can extend A50 to ensure there is not a no deal. May's deal won't get through, this seems pretty sure; either the EU concedes something (possible, but not likely), we fall into no deal (no stomach for this in parliament) or we extend A50 and a cross party group arrange a deal that is acceptable to parliament (possible, but will the EU want this ... unless Norway or Canada are on the table).

Hard to call which way it could go. I've bought in extra popcorn for the show

Whatever happens, the next few years is going to be a crazy gravy train for us contractors
        Won't happen in 60 days.

Comment

Won't happen in 60 days.
          You can't know that. These are unusual, interesting times. Parliament makes laws, they have the power to change the EU exit law should they so wish. If they vote that there can't be a no deal exit, and they also vote that May's deal is not acceptable, then what do you think will happen?

I'm not as arrogant as you to think that there is only one solution coming, we just don't know today how this will pan out. By all means keep hoping you'll get the crash out no deal; you may be lucky. You may not be. Even May doesn't know today how it's going to go.

General consensus from all political spheres thinks that a no deal will be a disaster for the UK. If you truly want that then either you're ignorant of what will transpire, or you're happy for our once great country to suffer and for many people to lose their jobs. The likes of the ERG are the latter, as they plan to make millions from the ensuing chaos. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            You can't know that. These are unusual, interesting times. Parliament makes laws, they have the power to change the EU exit law should they so wish. If they vote that there can't be a no deal exit, and they also vote that May's deal is not acceptable, then what do you think will happen?

I'm not as arrogant as you to think that there is only one solution coming, we just don't know today how this will pan out. By all means keep hoping you'll get the crash out no deal; you may be lucky. You may not be. Even May doesn't know today how it's going to go.

General consensus from all political spheres thinks that a no deal will be a disaster for the UK. If you truly want that then either you're ignorant of what will transpire, or you're happy for our once great country to suffer and for many people to lose their jobs. The likes of the ERG are the latter, as they plan to make millions from the ensuing chaos. Which one are you?
            FFS.

Leaving on the 29th of March is Law, "voting" won't change that, they have to get a new feckin law.

Comment

FFS.

Leaving on the 29th of March is Law, "voting" won't change that, they have to get a new feckin law.
              A bill, the European Union (Amendment of Withdrawal Date) Bill, gets voted on to amend the date as hard coded into the European Union (Withdrawal) Act. The Act also mandates the extension of Article 50. Of course, actually extending Art.50 requires agreement from the EU27, and I imagine that is only forthcoming if No Brexit becomes an option (e.g. an extension for the purposes of a 3rd Referendum).

Alteranatively, a European Union Withdrawal (Repeal) Bill would repeal the European Union (Withdrawal) Act and mandate May to withdraw our notification.

Both require time in parliament and the Lords, both require a majority vote, and both need to be pushed through as emergency legislation.

The more likely option is that 'The Deal' is accepted, we have a transition period where nothing changes economically (but we have no say), and the future scenario is negotiated over the next few years.

Ladbrokes are offering 3/1 on "UK To Leave EU With No Brexit Deal Before 1st April 2019", so the bookies think something else is more likely than that.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                A bill, the European Union (Amendment of Withdrawal Date) Bill, gets voted on to amend the date as hard coded into the European Union (Withdrawal) Act. The Act also mandates the extension of Article 50. Of course, actually extending Art.50 requires agreement from the EU27, and I imagine that is only forthcoming if No Brexit becomes an option (e.g. an extension for the purposes of a 3rd Referendum).

Alteranatively, a European Union Withdrawal (Repeal) Bill would repeal the European Union (Withdrawal) Act and mandate May to withdraw our notification.

Both require time in parliament and the Lords, both require a majority vote, and both need to be pushed through as emergency legislation.

The more likely option is that 'The Deal' is accepted, we have a transition period where nothing changes economically (but we have no say), and the future scenario is negotiated over the next few years.

Ladbrokes are offering 3/1 on "UK To Leave EU With No Brexit Deal Before 1st April 2019", so the bookies think something else is more likely than that.

I didn't get past that bit of complete fookin gibberish.

Comment

Are they being used to transport all the fridges: Health Secretary Matt Hancock accused of 'boasting' about 'no-deal' Brexit preparations
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

FFS.

Hmmm, maybe you need to tell Fox, a leading Brexiter in parliament, that he's wrong then (linky).

Or, maybe, you're wrong ...

I agree with you that the withdrawal agreement is in law, but Parliament make these laws and a majority of MPs can make news laws, thus repealing existing laws. Time is tight hence why May is trying to stall to force through her deal (as, I keep saying, there is no appetite for no deal in parliament) but those opposing May are trying to give parliament time to have other options on the table.

I still think a version of May's deal is likely to get pushed through, at least this is more likely than no deal (there are more MPs supporting May than there are supporting no deal.) But, in these interesting times anything could happen.

So chill out and don't give yourself a gammon complexion. Sit down, and enjoy the ride

Comment

I didn't get past that bit of complete fookin gibberish.
                      That would be your blinkers again. Why not take them off, open your mind, and you might start to understand what's going on?

You're welcome

Comment

Working...
                      X