• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK to spend £108m on no-deal ferries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It turns out that the British ferry firm awarded the contract, Seaborne Ferries, has - err - never actually operated a ferry before and doesn't current own any ferries.

And we're supposed to believe the UK government is competent at negotiating deals in a post Brexit world?

No-deal Brexit ferry contract sparks concerns - BBC News
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      It turns out that the British ferry firm awarded the contract, Seaborne Ferries, has - err - never actually operated a ferry before and doesn't current own any ferries.

And we're supposed to believe the UK government is competent at negotiating deals in a post Brexit world?

Add to that Ramsgate port isn't ready yet and needs dredging Really couldn't make it up.

If this were a PLC there would be calls for a government inquiry into the chaos and costs to the British people. Thankfully the people have spoken, so it's all alright then
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The company involved appears that it may links to the Bamford family, who own JCB and are one of the Tory parties biggest donors.

Mark Bamford, is a Director of the Legal Firm that shares the address of Seaborne Fright, and it's not a big commercial premises. Could just be a mailing address, but it's unlikely IMO given that their websites says :

"CJC is a full-service shipping law firm covering all aspects of shipping, including corporate, transactional and finance work, marine casualty handling and investigation, shipping litigation, marine insurance and international trade."

EDIT : And based on the accounts filed at companies house, they don't have any money either.

Could just be a coincidence of the name but I'm sure any links will be dig up in due course.
        Last edited by DaveB; 31 December 2018, 09:47.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Been bubbling at Ramsgate for a while, by the looks. There will be plenty of locals digging into it a bit further:

Nothing Concrete at Port Ramsgate - a Ramsgate Action Group campaign public group | Facebook

Allegedly the firms involved receive payouts anyway in the event of the contracts being cancelled (eg if a WA is signed and No Deal preparations are no longer required) so someone is filling their boots....

Comment

I thought Brexit was because the EU is corrupt.

The apparent corruption in this ferry deal is astounding and nothing to do with the EU. Home grown corruption will only rise post Brexit.

Maybe the real reason we're pulling migrants in dinghies out of the channel is because we need those dinghies for this service?

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post

Shocking isn't it? Westminster should be disband. The function of a working government is clearly bankrupt in Westminster's case.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                The company involved appears that it may links to the Bamford family, who own JCB and are one of the Tory parties biggest donors.

Could just be a coincidence of the name but I'm sure any links will be dig up in due course.
                There was a time when we'd be shocked and stunned by such realisations.

Why people continue to vote Tory is beyond me. Why not slip in a £1000 in an envelope to their local Tory MP while they're at it. Same difference.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

And just when you thought this story couldn't get any more ridiculous...

Brexit ferry firm Seaborne in terms and conditions gaffe - BBC News
                  England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Mark Bamford, is a Director of the Legal Firm that shares the address of Seaborne Fright, and it's not a big commercial premises. Could just be a mailing address, but it's unlikely IMO given that their websites says :

"CJC is a full-service shipping law firm covering all aspects of shipping, including corporate, transactional and finance work, marine casualty handling and investigation, shipping litigation, marine insurance and international trade."

EDIT : And based on the accounts filed at companies house, they don't have any money either.[/IMG]

The Mark Bamford, of the law firm based in the same address as Seaborne Freight, is not the same Mark Bamford of the JCB clan with Tory Party links. Just a big coincidence. For starters, the Mark Bamford of CJC was born in 1979 and is Mark Thomas Bamford. The JCB/Tory Party Mark Bamford is Mark Joseph Cyril Bamford, born 1951.

Comment

We need more ferries - so the argument that the company has no ferries is pointless - whichever company got the contract would need to buy more ferries - because you know the whole point is we need more ferries.

Does seem strange to award it to someone with no experience - however I am pretty sure that that firm will get in lots of people with experience of doing this sort of thing....

I imagine that some of the more established ferry companies were not that interested in this due to the disruption to their business plans....

Anyway what confuses me is why we need more ferries - is this because the assumption is that it will take longer to offload in Calais (or whichever European port they end up in) and so rather than having the lorries stacked on the M20(?) they will be stacked in boats in Calais harbour?

Comment

Working...
                      X