• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EUSSR news: Fishing: New EU rules could have 'grave' impact on UK industry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EUSSR news: Fishing: New EU rules could have 'grave' impact on UK industry

New EU rules on fishing quotas could have a "grave" impact on the UK's fishing industry, a House of Lords committee has said - just a day before the new policy is introduced.

Under previous rules, crews often discarded, into the sea, fish that took them over their quota for that species.

But under the new policy, fishers must bring the full haul back to shore. This change is to stop fish being wasted.

The legislation has been called "badly designed" by UK industry bodies.

The House of Lords EU Energy and Environment sub-committee heard evidence that the legislation could mean fishermen hitting their annual quotas much earlier in the year and have to stop fishing.

Fishing: New EU rules could have 'grave' impact on UK industry - BBC News

EUSSR must walk the plank

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Given the shower in parliament who "run" the UK I can't help thinking that the UK would be better off ruled from Berlin.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      New EU rules on fishing quotas could have a "grave" impact on the UK's fishing industry, a House of Lords committee has said - just a day before the new policy is introduced.

Under previous rules, crews often discarded, into the sea, fish that took them over their quota for that species.

But under the new policy, fishers must bring the full haul back to shore. This change is to stop fish being wasted.

The legislation has been called "badly designed" by UK industry bodies.

The House of Lords EU Energy and Environment sub-committee heard evidence that the legislation could mean fishermen hitting their annual quotas much earlier in the year and have to stop fishing.

Fishing: New EU rules could have 'grave' impact on UK industry - BBC News

Bearing in mind British fishermen want to fish the Ocean empty, and then complain next year when there's no fish, it sounds like a good thing. Catch your quota early, get a different job for the rest of the year. Earn more money. It cod be great.

I expect in a post Brexit Britain, we'll just have British quotas, and a lot of British fishermen will moan about that and will moan about being unable to fish in the EU anymore.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        I expect in a post Brexit Britain, we'll just have British quotas, and a lot of British fishermen will moan about that and will moan about being unable to fish in the EU anymore.
        Are you suggesting they are like farmers and its either too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry?

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          Bearing in mind British fishermen want to fish the Ocean empty, and then complain next year when there's no fish, it sounds like a good thing. Catch your quota early, get a different job for the rest of the year. Earn more money.
          They could become project manager contractors.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Sshhh, don't give away our secrets
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I think Brexit has enough project manager contractors already.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                I think the universe has enough project manager contractors already.
                Ftfy

Comment

But if we leave the EU we kind of do what we want...

What are they going to do send the EU navy against us.

[emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    But if we leave the EU we kind of do what we want...

What are they going to do send the EU navy against us.

[emoji849]
                    You are going to be so disappointed when Brexit finally happens.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X