• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning the corner on Brexit is possible says May...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highest Value Spanish Export Products
    Below are the 20 highest value export products shipped from Spain in 2017. Shown within brackets for each item is the year-over-year percentage change in value.

Cars: US$35.7 billion (up 0.4% since 2016)
    Processed petroleum oils: $12.7 billion (up 53.3%)
    Automobile parts/accessories: $10.9 billion (up 8.8%)
    Medication mixes in dosage: $7.7 billion (up 3%)
    Trucks: $6 billion (up 2.3%)
    Olive oil: $4.1 billion (up 18%)
    Swine meat: $4.1 billion (up 14.7%)
    Aircraft, spacecraft: $3.8 billion (up 138%)
    Fresh or dried citrus fruit: $3.6 billion (up 2.6%)
    Wine: $3.3 billion (up 10.4%)
    Women’s clothing (not knit or crochet): $3.1 billion (up 18.4%)
    Unglazed ceramic goods: $3 billion (up 1,306%)
    Aircraft parts: $2.7 billion (down -21.9%)
    Blood fractions (including antisera): $2.5 billion (up 8.9%)
    Insulated wire/cable: $2.2 billion (up 14%)
    Rubber tires (new): $2.1 billion (up 4.4%)
    Copper ores, concentrates: $2.1 billion (up 77.8%)
    Miscellaneous fresh/chilled vegetables: $2 billion (up 7.7%)
    Polyacetal/ether/carbonates: $1.9 billion (up 21%)
    Engines (diesel): $1.9 billion (down -0.3%)
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      I really cam't understand the mentality of making such comments. Spain is not all about tourism. I have a client co in Madrid that I need to visit around four times a year. I have never met any British tourists in 18 years of my visits to Madrid however I have worked with many Brits contracting in Madrid; post Brexit they will no longer be able to work there.
      It’s just another version of English exceptionalism - “they need us more than we need them”, etc.

Coincidentally my clientco has a major supplier also based in Madrid and we send teams of devs there twice a month. Looks like it’ll only be me and the other EU passport holders travelling after March, while the Brit contractors get laid off.....

Comment

I really cam't understand the mentality of making such comments.
        Cretinism.

HTH

Comment

I really cam't understand the mentality of making such comments.
          He's deluded and not very bright.

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Do you really think Spain's economy relies solely on UK tourists?
          Yes he does, because he's deluded and not very bright.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            He's deluded and not very bright.

Yes he does, because he's deluded and not very bright.
            But an admirably strong start to retain his cretin of the year title.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Exceptional Cretinism.

HTH
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Do you really think Spain's economy relies solely on UK tourists?
                In Spain, Tourism contributes about 10-11% of their GDP - Spain is the second most visited country in the world.

However, it isn't just British tourists in Spain, of course.

In 2017, 19 million people arrived in Spain on a short term basis from the UK, out of a total of 82 million people arriving in Spain on a short term basis (I don't know if this includes people on business as well as tourists).

So lets say British tourism contributes about 2.5% of Spanish GDP. Thing is, Brits aren't going to suddenly stop visiting Spain. Sure, some will no longer be able to because of Brexit making them poorer, or they cannot get permission to travel into the EU because they are criminals, but we'll still largely be holidaying in Spain in vast numbers, just like we holiday in non-EU countries. Some Brexit voters may find it harder to migrate to Spain due to no more freedom of movement, however.

So I really don't think the Spanish tourism industry is particularly concerned about Brexit.

Could the British tourism industry be hurt? For sure - the new barriers wont have much of an impact, but our image in Europe as being a particularly unwelcoming place for visitors, caused by the Brexit vote being about foreigners, will probably have an impact.
                Last edited by NotAllThere; 2 January 2019, 07:46. Reason: Fixed typo
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Brexit is out of Spain’s hands

Comment

Just turn a corner twice and it's a U-turn.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Is there a source for total amount of money the Government has already spent on Wrexit?

The truth of this sum will be somewhat damaging. Probably into the billions by now. Especially when you consider what else the money could have been spent on.
                      We could have built a wall.

Comment

Working...
                      X