• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning the corner on Brexit is possible says May...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    You have absolutely no idea how the EU voting and rule making works do you? Apart from the lies you read in the daily Fail and Express, do you do any of your own reading to find out how the EU works?

Voting is now based on population size, as as one the largest populations in the EU we have 13% of the voting in the EU. We don't need 27 other countries to agree with us; for some votes and laws we only need 3 other countries to agree with us (so long as the votes, based on population is large enough).
    and Germany really, really want us to stay as we agree with them more often than with France.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

'Voting is now based on population size, as as one the largest populations in the EU we have 13% of the voting in the EU. We don't need 27 other countries to agree with us; for some votes and laws we only need 3 other countries to agree with us (so long as the votes, based on population is large enough).'

So we have 13% of the vote - which is absolutely useless if we cannot get enough people to agree with us.

How about we make our own rules - and not have to ask other people if we can?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        'Voting is now based on population size, as as one the largest populations in the EU we have 13% of the voting in the EU. We don't need 27 other countries to agree with us; for some votes and laws we only need 3 other countries to agree with us (so long as the votes, based on population is large enough).'

So we have 13% of the vote - which is absolutely useless if we cannot get enough people to agree with us.

How about we make our own rules - and not have to ask other people if we can?
        We can make as many of our own rules as we like, but if they conflict with how others want to trade with us we'll have to fall in line anyway.

Just curious though, which rules exactly have been made through the EU that we have had to implement do you think are wrong and we should be rescinding after Brexit. No cheating now by looking up which votes we lost, do this off the top of your head. You're so sure we have rules forced upon us, go on, tell us which ones we don't want and didn't vote for?
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          and Germany really, really want us to stay as we agree with them more often than with France.
          It's getting to a stage where none of the EU27 want us to stay. They want shot of us. The way the Tories has treated these negotiations have been atrocious. If we end up crashing out with no deal, the EU will quite rightly shaft us in any future negotiations as all gloves will be off. Thankfully we hold all the cards, so we should be fine
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Don't go there

which rules exactly have been made through the EU that we have had to implement do you think are wrong and we should be rescinding after Brexit.
            Since this all started, that question has been asked a million times and the Brexiteers have failed to come up with any examples, not a single one. At least my mate BrexiJohn had the decency to quote something to do with light bulbs. He withdrew it subsequently as some fake news he'd got from the Tory press but at least he tried. The likes of Original just spout the Brexit Creed without any thought of connecting it to reality. It makes you admire Trump. He lies through his teeth but at least he sees you need to say something.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

We can make as many of our own rules as we like, but if they conflict with how others want to trade with us we'll have to fall in line anyway.

Just curious though, which rules exactly have been made through the EU that we have had to implement do you think are wrong and we should be rescinding after Brexit. No cheating now by looking up which votes we lost, do this off the top of your head. You're so sure we have rules forced upon us, go on, tell us which ones we don't want and didn't vote for?
              the EU wanted to make a rule to stop China dumping all their cheap steel and forcing the Port Talbot plant to close....

But no..... the UK vetoed that one.
              Personally I have more faith in the EU rulesetters than the useless sacks of sh1te in Westminster.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The UK has been one of the most, if not most, powerful forces within the EU throughout the years yet they're throwing it all away for the fantasies of a few vain glorious people who actually don't really care about the average man in the street...

Do UK MEPs win key positions of power in the European Parliament? - UK in a changing EuropeUK in a changing Europe

Britain has chaired the powerful Internal Market Committee of the EU since 2004, continuously. That’s 13 years we have been at the chair of a committee of a market our industries rely on, and on which Brexiters are pulling us out without any plan for what comes next, or any clarity for those industries and those jobs. We also chair the Civil Liberties Committee. In the past – since 2004 – we’ve chaired the Transport Committee, the Economic & Monetary Affairs Committee, Agriculture Committee, Development Committee, and Industry Committee. Key policy development committees within the European Union have been chaired by the UK. Other than Germany, and at times France, the UK holds more top offices than other member states. The UK was guiding the European Union for much of the past 15 years in shaping policy. On EU legislation on which the EU Parliament had power – equal to that of its member constituents in the council – to block or amend EU Laws, the UK authored more reports than every other EU member state, with the single exception of Germany. We were more often than not, over represented in positions of power in the EU. We weren’t the victim sat without any power as JRM, Boris, Nigel – and their incredibly disingenuous Brexit comrades – would have you believe in order to support or give an ounce of credit to the fact that they’ve voted to pull us out of that, and into… well, they haven’t got a clue.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  At least my mate BrexiJohn had the decency to quote something to do with light bulbs. He withdrew it subsequently as some fake news he'd got from the Tory press but at least he tried. The likes of Original just spout the Brexit Creed without any thought of connecting it to reality.
                  Some dude on Twitter was absolutely adamant that the EU had banned the sale of eggs by the dozen in the UK.

Had to show him screenshots of Tesco, Asda and Aldi websites all showing eggs on sale in packs of 12. This guy's Brexit vote was based on mistaken beliefs about non existant EU rules which were debunked over 8 years ago. I imagine he's still in a state over bendy bananas and the size of the rulebook about cabbages. We're leaving the EU because he doesn't do the shopping.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    Since this all started, that question has been asked a million times and the Brexiteers have failed to come up with any examples, not a single one. At least my mate BrexiJohn had the decency to quote something to do with light bulbs. He withdrew it subsequently as some fake news he'd got from the Tory press but at least he tried. The likes of Original just spout the Brexit Creed without any thought of connecting it to reality. It makes you admire Trump. He lies through his teeth but at least he sees you need to say something.
                    Ok i'll give you a choice.

You can sit here with these other 27 people and even though you have a majority vote you can still be vetoed and so in effect you are not able to make your own decisions.

Or you can sit on your own table, make you own decisions and then have conversations with those 27 people and another 180 odd - without having to ask those original 27 for permission.

Now you will say that in the first instance we would be better off because of access to the common market etc etc - however what guarantees do we have that having access to the common market will always be in our benefit?

Also is this vaunted completely free movement of labour within the EU actually all it is cracked up to be?

If we had not voted Brexit this time do you think we would have got another opportunity to leave the EU?

I think the view that the EU is there for the good of all Europe and it will always be so is not quite as realistic as people think.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      Ok i'll give you a choice.

You can sit here with these other 27 people and even though you have a majority vote you can still be vetoed and so in effect you are not able to make your own decisions.

Or you can sit on your own table, make you own decisions and then have conversations with those 27 people and another 180 odd - without having to ask those original 27 for permission.

Now you will say that in the first instance we would be better off because of access to the common market etc etc - however what guarantees do we have that having access to the common market will always be in our benefit?

Also is this vaunted completely free movement of labour within the EU actually all it is cracked up to be?

If we had not voted Brexit this time do you think we would have got another opportunity to leave the EU?

I think the view that the EU is there for the good of all Europe and it will always be so is not quite as realistic as people think.

Even after the hardest of brexiteers has given up trying to sell anything other than a vague principle of future betteryhappinessmaybe, you still roll out the same sh1te that was a lie 3 years ago.

The kool aid was nice wasn't it?
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X