• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU to demand Brexit bill in the event of no deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    They'll all get 'sent back' post brexit anyway
    So long as 'back' isn't south of the river
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Do you mean the budget cycle which ends next year? We have some small commitments beyond that, but nothing like £39b. Most of that was "goodwill" based, and it does depend somewhat on getting some actual "goodwill" in return.
      What does that even mean?

Have you ever spoken to an accountant, and have you ever known them to do anything on a “goodwill” basis?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        What does that even mean?

Have you ever spoken to an accountant, and have you ever known them to do anything on a “goodwill” basis?
        In this case it's a bung* to persuade the EU to give us a favourable exit and ongoing relationship. It clearly hasn't worked. It's Danegeld all over again (you'll have to look that up for yourself, try Kipling for starters).

*In the likely event that you haven't got a clue about "goodwill" in a business transaction sense, I thought you'd be more familiar with "bung".
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

In this case it's a bung* to persuade the EU to give us a favourable exit and ongoing relationship. It clearly hasn't worked. It's Danegeld all over again (you'll have to look that up for yourself, try Kipling for starters).

*In the likely event that you haven't got a clue about "goodwill" in a business transaction sense, I thought you'd be more familiar with "bung".
          Funnily enough, I do happen to know about "goodwill" in a business sense. It's an asset in the accounts, booked and verifiable.

Tell me again about this "goodwill" that you speak of. Is it booked and verifiable, or just a fiction of your imagination? Any evidence that there is any part of the payment designed to persuade the EU to give us a favourable exit?

Comment

Do you mean the budget cycle which ends next year? We have some small commitments beyond that, but nothing like £39b. Most of that was "goodwill" based, and it does depend somewhat on getting some actual "goodwill" in return.
            The £39bn (actually, €42bn - it is denominated in Euros) is for:
            • contribute to and participate in the 2019 and 2020 EU budgets, as part of the transition (or implementation) period;
            • continue to receive EU funding from EU programmes that are part of the 2014 – 2020 budget plan;
            • contribute towards the EU’s outstanding budget commitments at 31 December 2020 (these are budget commitments that have been made, but not yet paid);
            • contribute towards some of the EU’s liabilities – obligations to pay for certain items – incurred before 31 December 2020. EU staff pensions are the main source of such liabilities;
            • remain liable for the EU’s contingent liabilities – potential liabilities that may occur depending on the outcome of an uncertain event – which relate mainly to financial guarantees given and to legal risks;
            • receive back the €3.5 billion of capital it has paid into the European Investment Bank in 12 instalments from 2019, and will receive back the relatively small amount of capital it paid into the ECB on withdrawal;
            • remain liable for EIB liabilities approved before the WA comes into force, and will provide a guarantee to the EIB for its stock of outstanding loans which will decrease as EIB loans associated with it decrease;
            • continue to participate in some of EU’s overseas programmes, such as the European Development Fund, until the current round ends.

It isn't an upfront payment, and "the UK should neither pay more nor earlier than if it had remained a Member State. "

It's all in here
            Brexit: the exit bill - Commons Library briefing - UK Parliament
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              Any evidence that there is any part of the payment designed to persuade the EU to give us a favourable exit?
              If there is then at least one of Juncker's minions hasn't been doing his job properly.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The mere fact you equate bung and goodwill tells me you don't understand what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  The mere fact you equate bung and goodwill tells me I don't understand what I'm saying.
                  ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    ftfy

You see, can't help stalking me can you?

And by the way, as a qualified accountant, I do actually understand what Goodwill is on the balance sheet. But I wouldn't expect you to let facts get in the way of your normal tripe

How you feeling now Brexit is going t1ts up

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      a qualified accountant,
                      Well that neatly explains your weapons-grade dullness.

Fook me, could you BE more dreary?

Comment

Working...
                      X