• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The big day is here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    You're as clear as mud on what you actually want and expect. No wonder the country is in this mess.

Keep deflecting, don't commit to anything, but sit back and moan if things don't go your way (which nobody can tell until after the fact because you're being so obtuse).
    I expect us to leave the EU.

I expect us to negotiate new deals with Europe to enable us to trade, travel and communicate.

I expect us to honour agreements relating to the presence of existing EU members residing within the UK and also expect reciprocity regarding UK expats already residing within the remaining EU states.

I expect us to negotiate treaties and relationships that are mutually beneficial on an as required basis with whomever we wish to.

I expect us to be able to control our borders.

Also, I expect to have a grown up discussion without resorting to petty and childish insults.

Anything else for which you require clarification?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      How exactly. What you are suggesting it that parliament has the right to change the Lisbon treaty. That is the only way of taking no deal off the table and still respecting the result of the referendum.
      True the A50 end date can be postponed but this still does not take no deal off the table. If we reach the end date with no agreed deal we leave with no deal and an extension would need agreement of all 27 EU members. The EU has elections in May so A50 extension will only be of limited duration.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
      It won't be an option as there is a majority in parliament who don't want it to be. As such, once the confidence vote is defeated, the cross party work that should have happened 2.5 years ago can begin and a deal that is acceptable to the majority can be sought.

There was talk last night in Strasburg of extending A50, having the EU elections as planned, but the UK have no elections until we come back with a plan B (whether that be a new WA or remain); if remain, we have our elections later, if new WA then no need for elections.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        The issue with the last ref was that leave wasn't clear about what it meant.
        TBF, 2.5 years later leave still aren't clear what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Which is what the Withdrawal Agreement allows us to do.

I expect us to negotiate new deals with Europe to enable us to trade, travel and communicate.
          Not part of the Withdrawal Agreement. Part of the framework for the future relationship.

I expect us to honour agreements relating to the presence of existing EU members residing within the UK and also expect reciprocity regarding UK expats already residing within the remaining EU states.

I expect us to negotiate treaties and relationships that are mutually beneficial on an as required basis with whomever we wish to.
          Not part of the Withdrawal Agreement. Part of the framework for the future relationship.

Also, I expect to have a grown up discussion without resorting to petty and childish insults.
          Perhaps if you understood things a bit better, you wouldn't come across as waffle.

Nope, all clear. You support the Withdrawal Agreement as it currently stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            It won't be an option as there is a majority in parliament who don't want it to be. As such, once the confidence vote is defeated, the cross party work that should have happened 2.5 years ago can begin and a deal that is acceptable to the majority can be sought.

There was talk last night in Strasburg of extending A50, having the EU elections as planned, but the UK have no elections until we come back with a plan B (whether that be a new WA or remain); if remain, we have our elections later, if new WA then no need for elections.
            A majority in parliament against a no deal is irrelevant unless some sort of compromise can be agreed that is acceptable to not only UK parliament but also the 27 in the EU. Give the current gulf between the different factions in parliament do you really think that will happen. The clock is ticking and on March 29th we are at this moment in time leaving without a deal.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

May's deal gave us this, so why exactly didn't you like May's deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                May's deal gave us this, so why exactly didn't you like May's deal?
                Because I want us to leave without a deal and negotiate after the event. I want things to be shaken up.

If it was such a good deal why did so many MPs vote against it?

Surely you're not suggesting that all of them think that voting against the deal will prevent Brexit?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  That sounds like you don't want a Withdrawal Agreement? You would rather have the chaos of citizen's rights, borders, outstanding liabilities, and geographical indicators left in the air with no agreement?
                  Does it?
                  Because I want us to leave without a deal and negotiate after the event. I want things to be shaken up.

PLONK.

Comment

Surely you're not suggesting that all of them think that voting against the deal will prevent Brexit?
                    Like most leavers, you make absolutely no sense and change the goal posts constantly.

You list out all your requirements. The deal meets your requirements. Then you change your mind and say you don't want a deal (even though you then say you want a deal, but to negotiate this after we have left).

You do realise that once we leave, and cause disruption in the EU, they will be even less likely to give us a good deal? You think they are being difficult now (which they are not, but that's not the narrative you lot like to peddle), then just wait until we leave with no deal and go back with our begging bowl.

I never said it was a good deal. I said I could accept the deal as it met the result of the ref.

Nope, not suggesting the 400 who voted against the deal want to prevent brexit. If you think that you're as think as you come across, given the deal was voted against by both remainers and leavers; are you suggesting Reese-Mogg and his chums are closet remainers trying the thwart Brexit?

Try thinking before you type. Also try to keep your argument consistent; you're confusing yourself.

Comment

which is precisely what the WA is. It gets us out. Then we negotiate a future deal during the transition period (the transition which wouldn't have been necessary if a) we held all the cards, b) it was the easiest negotiation ever, and c) if there'd been an idea what we wanted so we didn't spend 2 years not even deciding the terms on which we leave)
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X