Govt Remainers Move to Kill No Deal Brexit Govt Remainers Move to Kill No Deal Brexit - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 63

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    So why are you saying the only option is to accept May's deal, when you've already admitted that there is also the option to revoke article 50?
    Because he has the congnitive abilities of a brain injured chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Contractor Among Contractors

So why are you saying the only option is to accept May's deal, when you've already admitted that there is also the option to revoke article 50?

You've really confused yourself again.
    There is an option to revoke A50. The EU courts have made that judgement that the UK can unilaterally revoke A50. But is would require an act of parliament to do do which puts parliament at odds with the wishes of the people and both major parties at conflict with the platform on which they stood during the 2017 GE.
    What this thread is about is how you take No deal off the table. We seam to have strayed away from the point of this thread somewhat so I will pose the question again.
    How does a politician take no deal off the table before March 29th?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    The only way to get no deal off the table is to have a deal. The only deal we have currently is May's deal. Therefore those that want no deal off the table must support May's deal.
    Take "Hard Brexit" off the table and you've got May's original deal, Mays second deal and No Brexit still there to choose from.

There is an option to revoke A50.
    Woohoo, finally he sees the light.

It is possible to take "No Deal" off the table and still have other options, not just "Accept May's deal"

Just because you don't like it, or you think it's not right, doesn't mean it's not an option.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

How does a politician take no deal off the table before March 29th?
    By saying "We're not going to leave with 'no deal'", and then trying to decide whether it is (in their opinion) in the best interests of the country to leave with a deal, or to decide to stay.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

By saying "We're not going to leave with 'no deal'", and then trying to decide whether it is (in their opinion) in the best interests of the country to leave with a deal, or to decide to stay.
    Just saying does not take NO DEAL off the table. Currently if we reach March 29th with no agreed deal with the EU that has been ratified by the UK parliament we leave with NO DEAL.

What do you not understand in the above statement?

Now tell me how does an MP take no deal off the table without revoking A50.

I live on CUK

Just saying does not take NO DEAL off the table. Currently if we reach March 29th with no agreed deal with the EU that has been ratified by the UK parliament we leave with NO DEAL.

One MP can do nothing. But parliament can.

HTH

Parliament can take no deal off the table by:
    1. Agreeing current withdrawal agreement
    2. By forcing the government to seek an extension to Article 50, probably with a negotiating position for a new deal, or alternatively to give time for a GE or second referendum. The EU could refuse but the signs are that it is likely to agree in these circumstances.
    3. By forcing the government to withdraw A50 on 28 March if no deal has been reached. This may need an Act of Parliament, probably achievable by amending a government bill.
    25 June 2018

Super poster

An MP, a single MP, can do very little. They cannot revoke A50 on their own (unless they are T May, perhaps).

However:
    An MP could introduce a Statutory Instrument, the nature of that SI to be to amend the Withdrawal Act such that if a date is reached (say, March 20th) without any ratified Withdrawal Agreement, then the Government shall revoke A50. That MP would need to convince both Houses to support the SI, and for it to be written into statute.

Pedantically, the MP has not revoked A50 but has taken No Deal off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    One MP can do nothing. But parliament can.

HTH

Parliament can take no deal off the table by:
    1. Agreeing current withdrawal agreement
    2. By forcing the government to seek an extension to Article 50, probably with a negotiating position for a new deal, or alternatively to give time for a GE or second referendum. The EU could refuse but the signs are that it is likely to agree in these circumstances.
    3. By forcing the government to withdraw A50 on 28 March if no deal has been reached. This may need an Act of Parliament, probably achievable by amending a government bill.
    Apart from 2. Which really is just kicking the can down the road. I accept you rationale which enforces my point that you can't actually take NO DEAL off the table until it's all over.

Double Godlike!

The only way to get no deal off the table is to have a deal. The only deal we have currently is May's deal. Therefore those that want no deal off the table must support May's deal.
    Not necessarily. They could risk mass riots and civil unrest by revoking Article 50.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

I live on CUK

Apart from 2. Which really is just kicking the can down the road. I accept you rationale which enforces my point that you can't actually take NO DEAL off the table until it's all over.

Unfortunately you have failed to be follow the argument. Not your fault so don't beat yourself up about it.
    25 June 2018