• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No deal off the table now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The Brexiteers are now desperately scrabbling around for some face saving measure so they can cave, however their street cred will be 0.

They “won” but reject the ideas of anyone who didn’t vote to leave, while refusing to come up with any workable ideas themselves, and saying that it’s the fault of those who didn’t vote with them that we aren’t getting anywhere.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      If you had started with the correct figures, then your maths might have been closer. Best go back and try again.
      I did, but here is no arguing with a cretin so I won't bother

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        I did, but here is no arguing with a cretin

How many MPs are there? 650 (7 from SF, so 643)

How many voted for? 317
        How many voted against? 301
        What is the difference? 16

So, nowhere is the figure 630, or 8, as per your post.

I know you support Brexit, so hate facts, but some of us prefer to avoid the lies popular amongst Trump supporters and Brexiters, both groups are known for claiming any fact that counters their emotional argument must be "fake news"
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          How many MPs are there? 650 (7 from SF, so 643)

How many voted for? 317
          How many voted against? 301
          What is the difference? 16

So, nowhere is the figure 630, or 8, as per your post.

I know you support Brexit, so hate facts, but some of us prefer to avoid the lies popular amongst Trump supporters and Brexiters, both groups are known for claiming any fact that counters their emotional argument must be "fake news"
          Please if you want to be pedantic about it you could at least get it right.
          650MPs less 7 from SF less the speaker and his deputies (3off) who are politically impartial and therefore dont vote. So 11 off 650 equals 639. Now 627 voted so either 12 abstained or just couldn't be bothered to turn up or some other excuse. Of the 627 that actually chose to vote, 310 voted against the motion and 318 for the motion. Therefore the vote was won by 8 votes and only 8 votes as you cant count abstentions or non voters one way or t'other.
          8 votes is 1.2% of MPs that are eligible to vote (NOTE: SF are eligible to vote they just choose not to turn up to do so). Hardly a resounding victory.

One wonders how some of you manage to find you way out of bed in the morning.

PS
          Brexit amendments: What did MPs vote on and what were the results? - BBC News
          HTH

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
          Last edited by Yorkie62; 30 January 2019, 14:12.

Comment

May has privately ruled out "no deal". It isn't going to happen.

May has told ministers, no deal isn't going to happen
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

May told members of her top team that ruling out no deal in public would remove a key bargaining chip in negotiations with the EU, the Sun reported, citing a cabinet source.
              "If you don't give us what we want we'll **** ourselves over good and proper". That'll teach them.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                "If you don't give us what we want we'll **** ourselves over good and proper". That'll teach them.
                Removing the one bargaining chip we have left does seem somewhat suicidal. Of course it doesn't do the EU many favours either. Unless "No No Deal" is written into law (and I'm not certain it actually is, based on last nights events) we still may leave on March 29th without a deal unless there's a movement, on one side or the other. Time is running out to change the current withdrawal bill, and if nothing changes between now and 29th March, no deal it is.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  Removing the one bargaining chip we have left does seem somewhat suicidal.
                  That "chip" is a threat commit suicide.
                  Last edited by AtW; 30 January 2019, 16:53.

Comment

Still convinced we're going to be leaving without a deal. Still not seen anything to suggest otherwise. There are only two realistic escape routes:

1) May comes back in two weeks having failed to renegotiate anything and puts the existing withdrawal agreement to a vote and realising it's the only way to guarantee no deal, the House reluctantly backs it.

or

2) May revokes A50 at the last minute when all options have been exhausted.

Both of the above seem incredibly unlikely and I'm not even sure the second one is possible because as well as revoking A50 I would have thought that the existing the EU legislation would need to be repealed or superseded and I'm not certain what the process for that would be.

There's also the option of asking to extend the date, even just to give some time to figure out what will happen next but it's a gamble as it's not guaranteed.

That only leaves one option from where I'm sitting.
                    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 30 January 2019, 16:56.

Comment

I'll believe it when she sends the letter to the EU declaring her intention to withdraw the A50 notification.

Comment

Working...
                      X