• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No deal off the table now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if Paddy power were so cocksure that we will be extending A50 they would be offering great odds for A50 not being extended. I'll shop around thanks.
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    But you've been telling us for weeks you're cocksure that we're leaving on 29th March. Paddy Power are offering good odds for yo given you already know we're leaving and A50 won't be extended. Free money for you, surely?
    Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      And if Paddy power were so cocksure that we will be extending A50 they would be offering great odds for A50 not being extended. I'll shop around thanks.

They're not cocksure. Nobody is saying that A50 is definitely going to be extended. But you seem cocksure that A50 won't be extended. As NAT says, it's free money.

Comment

Parliament is actually pretty much split on No Deal, just as the general public are with a small majority rejecting it. To say that there are only a few extremists supporting No deal is wrong when there were only 8 MPs in favour or rejecting NO Deal. I saw a poll recently that suggested the general public feel the same in that there is a small majority who do not support the No Deal Scenario, however there was a majority that thought that the No Deal scenario was now the most likely outcome.
        There was a small majority for the Spelman amendment but I am confident that is because a significant number of Tory MPs felt they had to give the PM one last try before they show their hand.

When she comes back in two weeks with the same deal and we go through the whole neutral motion process again I expect we will see a much bigger majority for an amendment aimed at preventing no deal and probably one with more teeth than the Spelman amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          There was a small majority for the Spelman amendment but I am confident that is because a significant number of Tory MPs felt they had to give the PM one last try before they show their hand.

When she comes back in two weeks with the same deal and we go through the whole neutral motion process again I expect we will see a much bigger majority for an amendment aimed at preventing no deal and probably one with more teeth than the Spelman amendment.
          WHS

Besides the ERG, and possibly DUP, there are very few MPs who would support "no deal".

Comment

Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: Well Humphrey, we've got to leave the EU. I think that means we are in now but we will have to be outside.
            Sir Humphrey Original: Yes Minister.
            Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: So now we have borders with non-EU countries but not EU countries.
            Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: So what will happen is we'll now have borders with the EU because we have decided to be a non-EU country?
            Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: Well that seems straightfoward, Humphrey.
            Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: Well Humphrey, is there anything I should know?
            Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: What?
            Sir Humphrey Original: Well Minister, the Good Friday Agreement says we can't have borders between us and Ireland.
            Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: So, we only have two choices: 1) we stay in the EU or 2) Ireland comes out with us?
            Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: I guess we can totally forget Ireland moving?
            Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: So that only leaves us with Option 1?
            Rt Hon Sean McPosterBoy: Oh that's easy then: we'll just tell the EU we are staying in after all. Only obviously we are leaving at the same time.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Paddys are a bookmakers, you do understand how bookmakers work don't you? They look at an event where the outcome is not guaranteed, then they offer odds of the various outcomes based on the modeled likelihood of each outcome. The more likely they think something is to happen, the worse odds they offer to the customer (it's how they make money, you see).

Now given you know we're going to drop off a cliff edge and A50 won't be extended or rescinded, why not put your money where your mouth is? A couple of grand would prove us all how clever you are and give you load of kudos on CUK that you know what you're talking about.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                Paddys are a bookmakers, you do understand how bookmakers work don't you? They look at an event where the outcome is not guaranteed, then they offer odds of the various outcomes based on the modeled likelihood of each outcome. The more likely they think something is to happen, the worse odds they offer to the customer (it's how they make money, you see).

Now given you know we're going to drop off a cliff edge and A50 won't be extended or rescinded, why not put your money where your mouth is? A couple of grand would prove us all how clever you are and give you load of kudos on CUK that you know what you're talking about.
                So long as you all each match my £5k by betting the other way.

Comment

So long as you all match my £5k by betting the other way.

You're the only person who thinks an outcome is guaranteed. Why would you care what anyone else does if there is free money?

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So long as you all each match my £5k by betting the other way.

Comment

Working...
                      X