• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nissan chief executive 'confident' after meeting with Theresa May

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't this expected after the EU-Japan trade deal which has led to other Japanese manufacturers withdrawing from the UK ?

Predicted here:
    Japan's EU deal 'threatens post-Brexit UK industry' | Business | The Guardian

I think the Japan trade deal was always going to be bad news for the EU's Japanese car manufacturing industry, with the UK being hardest hit due to the number of Japanese plants here (4) Brexit or not.

I note (although details are hard to find) that Nissan's Barcelona plant has also seen job cuts and has only stayed open due to government promises of subsidies.

P.S. I'm not saying that Brexit isn't a factor here!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      One word - tariffs. Work it out, it's not hard.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think the Japan trade deal was always going to be bad news for the EU's Japanese car manufacturing industry, with the UK being hardest hit due to the number of Japanese plants here (4) Brexit or not.
        At an industry level, in any FTA there are going to be winners and losers. Whether the EU’s Japanese plants are hit will be simple economics - with all things being equal (0% tariffs), would it be more cost effective to make Japanese cars in Europe where the market is, or make them in Japan and then ship them? Only the car manufacturers really know.

With the U.K. exiting from that FTA, and with the market that the U.K.-made cars are sold into being subject to tariffs, the economics for the U.K. changes.

Comment

Wasn't this expected after the EU-Japan trade deal which has led to other Japanese manufacturers withdrawing from the UK ?

Predicted here:
          Japan's EU deal 'threatens post-Brexit UK industry' | Business | The Guardian

I note (although details are hard to find) that Nissan's Barcelona plant has also seen job cuts and has only stayed open due to government promises of subsidies.

If an FTA is death to such plants, what does it bod for the UK future once our glorious international trade ministers drop all tariffs to zero after Brexit.

Comment

Working...
          X