• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nissan chief executive 'confident' after meeting with Theresa May

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...newthread&f=18

In October 2016...

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    So now we know what the “sweetener” for Nissan was, a £60m bung.

Which begs three more questions:

- do Brexiters understand hypocrisy, moaning about state aid in Slovakia while the UK attempts the same thing?

- do the Tories have a money tree hidden somewhere, that they can use to buy votes but not to alleviate homelessness?

- if the bung is £60m and Nissan are throwing that away, what’s the real cost of Brexit?

Comment

Potentially Sunderland Nissan will not be producing the x trail.

But they will still retain the Quashai....

Three millionth Qashqai built in UK as Nissan Europe sets sales record - Global Newsroom

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Three millionth Qashqai built in UK as Nissan Europe sets sales record - Global Newsroom
        That's the spirit. But do you know what opportunity cost is?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          That's the spirit. But do you know what opportunity cost is?
          Depends - would it equal the amount of money the EU/Slovakia government paid to JLR to move production to Slovakia?

Or is it less than that?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Yep. Until they don't.

Short term: the additional planned jobs no longer available. Those additional jobs paid wages, that would have been spent in the local economy.
            Medium term: lines come to their natural end of life, plants aren't retooled for new lines. Redundancies.
            Long term: Factory closes as production has completely relocated.

Brexiters: It was always going to happen, China, diesel, market forces, anything but Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              Yep. Until they don't.

Short term: the additional planned jobs no longer available. Those additional jobs paid wages, that would have been spent in the local economy.
              Medium term: lines come to their natural end of life, plants aren't retooled for new lines. Redundancies.

Brexiters: It was always going to happen, China, diesel, market forces, anything but Brexit.
              At least investment in the automotive industry has held up nicely since 2015.

Comment

You really ought to put that crystal ball of yours to better use.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

This is probably how the UK is going to go over the next decade - no slam-dunk Brexit hits, just Britain becoming less attractive so more business goes elsewhere.

I know it is illogical and petty minded but I have to confess when I hear such things about strongly Brexit areas my first thought is "you made your bed, you can now lie on it". It doesn't help now but maybe in a generation or two, the populace will have learned not to be so stupid when they go the ballot box.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    This is probably how the UK is going to go over the next decade - no slam-dunk Brexit hits, just Britain becoming less attractive so more business goes elsewhere.

I know it is illogical and petty minded but I have to confess when I hear such things about strongly Brexit areas my first thought is "you made your bed, you can now lie on it". It doesn't help now but maybe in a generation or two, the populace will have learned not to be so stupid when they go the ballot box.
                    No deal will see some slam dunk hits.

Comment

Working...
                    X