• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japan's EU deal 'threatens post-Brexit UK industry'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last 3 words of the link should give you a clue that it will be biased, BTW, the X-Trail will also be available as a petrol version
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      The last 3 words of the link should give you a clue that it will be biased, BTW, the X-Trail will also be available as a petrol version
      Which was never going to be made in Sunderland.

Also yes it is the daily mail - but as an article it is very factual in that it tries to avoid putting it's own hyperbole in place of facts..

but won't be perfect I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Yeah, and Aston Martins' with AMG engine will never be made in UK, because as we all know them engines don't have wheels to move around.

Comment

Also yes it is the daily mail - but as an article it is very factual in that it tries to avoid putting it's own hyperbole in place of facts..

but won't be perfect I guess.
          Who says?

It is contingent too on a positive decision by the Nissan Board to allocateproduction of the Qashqai and X-Trail models to the Sunderland plant.
          There was no quantifying what models, just X-Trail. However:

"If Nissan decided to make those cars in petrol it would have to ship engines over from Japan and the cost of doing that work against the decision to build it in the UK."
          Japan-EU FTA would absolve at least tariffs on that...along with the petrol X-trail being built in Japan and then imported into the EU..

"There are obviously other factors - car sales are down in the UK, they have fallen across Europe... and there is obviously the overhang of Brexit and the worries of the impact that might have on a plant that exports about 80% of its vehicles."
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

There's no doubt that Brexit has more or less fast tracked the Japan-EU trade deal. Japan previously was comfortable using the UK as a bridge head into the EU and was dragging its heals in opening up its markets to the EU. They've now more or less agreed to all the EU's demands and now no longer need the UK. The decision at Nissan to export from Japan would not have been possible without the new EU-Japan trade deal.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              There's no doubt that Brexit has more or less fast tracked the Japan-EU trade deal. Japan previously was comfortable using the UK as a bridge head into the EU and was dragging its heals in opening up its markets to the EU. They've now more or less agreed to all the EU's demands and now no longer need the UK. The decision at Nissan to export from Japan would not have been possible without the new EU-Japan trade deal.

Wonder what BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Peugeot, Seat, Citroen, Fiat, Renault etc think of the EU's decision to allow Japanese cars to be imported at zero value?

Do you think they even got a choice? Do you think that this is not just a childish short term move by the EU exec's to try and prove Brexit is bad by trying to entice Nissan from the Uk purely to support their own goals while at the same time putting pressure on the member states?

I mean approx 13% of Germany's gap is based on automotive manufacturing.

Comment

Wonder what BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Peugeot, Seat, Citroen, Fiat, Renault etc think of the EU's decision to allow Japanese cars to be imported at zero value?

Do you think they even got a choice? Do you think that this is not just a childish short term move by the EU exec's to try and prove Brexit is bad by trying to entice Nissan from the Uk purely to support their own goals while at the same time putting pressure on the member states?

The Germans are quite happy with the deal, they currently import Japanese cars from the UK, in the future more of these will come from Japan, i.e. it's not the German manufacturers that lose market share it's the Japanese factories in the UK.

The Nissan decision is just the first of many.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

That's maybe why they got a deal on selling those cars to Japan.

But why do you care about German manufacturing? Surely your top concern should be for British manufacturing.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Well it's just that the UK only makes the quashqai in any great quantity.

So I guess they will still source that from the UK.

So really it is all the other models which will be being imported from Japan - and when they say Japan - do they just mean anywhere else in the world other than the UK?

I mean if they make the car in China and it passes through Japan is that classed a Japanese?

Now interesting question - why will the EU not let Nissans made in the UK in for zero rate?

How would they know if the car was made in the UK or Japan (paperwork can be forged!)

There are a lot of car making firms in mainland Europe and to have the EU offer the Japanese a zero tariff deal just fookin stinks.

Comment

Hello I'd like to see the Doctor about my Paranoia

What you need to think very, very carefully about, tonight - when you're in bed and you've just switched out the light, is how much space there is between the bottom of your divan and the floor. Could something have slithered under there? Could that something lurking underneath be an … EU Exec?!

"Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X