• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japan's EU deal 'threatens post-Brexit UK industry'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    What you need to think very, very carefully about, tonight - when you're in bed and you've just switched out the light, is how much space there is between the bottom of your divan and the floor. Could something have slithered under there? Could that something lurking underneath be an … EU Exec?!

I apologies for the use of the words EU exec

I meant to say those people at the top of the EU who agree deals with other countries with complete impunity.

Is that acceptable?

Comment

Also wait for it

"Shinichi Iida, Japan’s minister for public diplomacy and media, told The Independent earlier this year that his country’s “first and foremost priority” was rubber-stamping the Brussels deal before work could begin on a free trade agreement with the UK.

But he added that: “Once the Japan-EU economic partnership agreement comes into force, it could provide a very good and sound basis for the future trade between Japan and UK.”

So maybe Japan and the UK can have a similar deal...

then what deal shall we have with the EU????

What deal will be the most mutually beneficially for all members of society? because that must be the one the EU chose surely?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Also wait for it

"Shinichi Iida, Japan’s minister for public diplomacy and media, told The Independent earlier this year that his country’s “first and foremost priority” was rubber-stamping the Brussels deal before work could begin on a free trade agreement with the UK.

But he added that: “Once the Japan-EU economic partnership agreement comes into force, it could provide a very good and sound basis for the future trade between Japan and UK.”

What deal will be the most mutually beneficially for all members of society? because that must be the one the EU chose surely?
        I think you need a JCB to dig your way out of your paraniod mess.
        Why don't you care about British manufacturing?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Also wait for it

They won't need a similar trade deal because the rUK (i.e. England) won't be manufacturing cars, Japanese or otherwise.

Comment

You're getting more and more hilarious every day.

Well it's just that the UK only makes the quashqai in any great quantity.

So I guess they will still source that from the UK.
            Yes, if they want it. What are the sales of Qashqai to the EU compared to sales in the UK, of UK-manufactured Qashqais?

So really it is all the other models which will be being imported from Japan - and when they say Japan - do they just mean anywhere else in the world other than the UK?
            No, within the context of the Japan-EU FTA it means Japan.

I mean if they make the car in China and it passes through Japan is that classed a Japanese?
            It depends on what the Rules of Origin are, as stated in the FTA.

Now interesting question - why will the EU not let Nissans made in the UK in for zero rate?
            Because there is a tariff schedule lodged with the WTO that says what the tariffs are. Once the UK negotiates an FTA with the EU then it's likely that Nissans made in the UK will be let in for zero tariff

How would they know if the car was made in the UK or Japan (paperwork can be forged!)
            You're being ultra-paranoid now.

There are a lot of car making firms in mainland Europe and to have the EU offer the Japanese a zero tariff deal just fookin stinks.
            It's reciprocal. The EU gets zero tariffs on Mercedes, BMWs, etc that are exported to Japan. Reciprocity is usually what deals involve.

Except when it's the UK doing a "deal", when the UK just wants to stamp it's feet and make demands.

Comment

I meant to say those people at the top of the EU who agree deals with other countries with complete impunity.
              Your terminology is not the issue, it's the idea that these bogeymen can push us, and now apparently the whole of the EU, around.

A trade agreement with Japan is subject to the scrutiny of all the EU governments, all the EU democracies.

Part of that democratic process is representation of the interests of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Peugeot, Seat, Citroen, Fiat, Renault.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Your terminology is not the issue, it's the idea that these bogeymen can push us, and now apparently the whole of the EU, around.

A trade agreement with Japan is subject to the scrutiny of all the EU governments, all the EU democracies.

Part of that democratic process is representation of the interests of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Peugeot, Seat, Citroen, Fiat, Renault.
                Bless, he seems to have forgotten that Wallonia nearly scuppered CETA.

Comment

In effect the Japanese can already export into the EU using the UK as a base. It was an easy decision for the rest of the EU. The fact that the Japanese can export directly into the EU affects only the UK. Whether the rest of the EU has to compete against Japanese cars made in Japan or the UK makes no difference.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X