• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Europe in 2020

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    Then put up a border. Simples.
    Exactly, glad you've come around. The UK will have to.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Name one other country in the world that is not in "a" single market and customs union, that has an open border with it's neighbour.
      Ah yes of course - the no one else has done it so therefore we can't argument.

do you live in a house or a cave?

Comment

Name one other country in the world that is not in "a" single market and customs union, that has an open border with it's neighbour.
        India, Bhutan, Nepal

Australia, New Zealand

Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          India, Bhutan, Nepal
          Category:Transit and customs posts along the India–Nepal border - Wikipedia

Australia, New Zealand
          You clearly haven't been to either. Imports between the two are checked at customs points. People are checked. Visas are required - they are automatically granted, but still a technical requirement. There are no open borders.

Comment

Category:Transit and customs posts along the India–Nepal border - Wikipedia

You clearly haven't been to either. Imports between the two are checked at customs points. People are checked. Visas are required - they are automatically granted, but still a technical requirement. There are no open borders.
            Ok so it seems like every other country in the world has borders - so i guess now the UK is no different?

They manage though yes?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Ok so it seems like every other country in the world has borders - so i guess now the UK is no different?

They manage though yes?
              1 So how do you intend to manage the number of border crossings in Ireland? There are more than there are between USA and Canada and along the entire EU eastern border, combined.

2 What do you think the disruption will be if a new customs / phytosanitary etc. border is established where there is currently none?

3 What message do you think it sends the world when the UK is in breach of its GFA treaty commitments?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

They manage though yes?
                Yes, they manage, but on the whole they have very different circumstances. The point of this part of the thread is that the UK is deliberately not setting a border, so the UK will be different to every other country.

(Here is where you chip in and say that borders are man-made and whatever man creates, man can fix)

We would be better off looking at it in different ways. Personally, I would treat the island of Ireland as a special case. It has phytosanitary borders (the Irish Sea) and NI could be treated as a separate economic unit. If we were to Brexit then this would be my preferred solution, but the DUP says No.

Comment

Working...
                X