• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ford to close all factories in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    I don't think the article actually said all Ford factories in the UK. I strongly suspect that the Diesel Engine plant in Dagenham will goo, but not because of Brexit. The RnD Facility in Dagenham will probably stay unless Ford is thinking of pulling out of all Motorsport. which just leaves the Petrol Engine plant at Bridgend. Ford will have to balance the cost of exporting the engines to the car production plant in Germany and then reimporting 1 in 3 back to the UK against moving the petrol engine production to another facility where the tariffs are more favourable.
    Agreed that diesel is a big consideration, as is tariffs. They will also need to figure out what the future Rules of Origin are and tri-partite recognition of UK/EU as being the same for RoO purposes (e.g. the destination export market, say South Korea, agreeing that UK-made parts count as EU for the purposes of EU/S Korea FTA RoO).

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Plenty of counselling jobs comforting distraught Bremoaners anyway..................and the surge in comfort blanket sales and nappies!!

You won, get over it Will of the people, blah blah blah
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        I don't think the article actually said all Ford factories in the UK. I strongly suspect that the Diesel Engine plant in Dagenham will goo, but not because of Brexit. The RnD Facility in Dagenham will probably stay unless Ford is thinking of pulling out of all Motorsport. which just leaves the Petrol Engine plant at Bridgend. Ford will have to balance the cost of exporting the engines to the car production plant in Germany and then reimporting 1 in 3 back to the UK against moving the petrol engine production to another facility where the tariffs are more favourable.
        That's not what he said, he said it was because of Brexit.

Another participant on the private call with May said that other companies delivered the same warning as Ford, The Times reported.
        Not all of the companies on the "private call" manufacture diesel engines.

One thing you can't relocate are farms.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

VW continues to manufacture diesel cars

Diesel will see a renaissance in the not-too-distant future because people who drove diesels will realize that it was a very comfortable drive concept," said Matthias Mueller, Volkswagen's newest CEO
          Not surprising as UK competition will be shut down.

I can see this will be the "mantra" when car manufacturing shuts down in the UK, that is it's simply due to the lack of demand for diesels, however diesels will be imported like there is no tomorrow.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            You lost, get over it Will of the people, blah blah blah
            Ah, the willow, the willow...

Comment

Working...
            X