• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit surcharge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit surcharge

Porsche asks UK buyers to commit to 10% no-deal Brexit surcharge

Porsche is asking British customers to sign a contract committing them to pay a surcharge of up to 10% of their vehicles’ purchase price if there is a no-deal Brexit.

Cars made in Europe could attract tariffs of 10% if imported to the UK under the terms of the World Trade Organization, the default trading relationship if the UK and the EU are unable to agree a transition period before 29 March.

The car industry is particularly exposed to the risk of a no-deal Brexit, because its products attract relatively high tariffs. Companies that manufacture in the UK also face the prospect of disruption to their “just-in-time” supply chains if there are border delays.

Porsche asks UK buyers to commit to 10% no-deal Brexit surcharge | Business | The Guardian

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Porsche is asking British customers to sign a contract committing them to pay a surcharge of up to 10% of their vehicles’ purchase price if there is a no-deal Brexit.

Cars made in Europe could attract tariffs of 10% if imported to the UK under the terms of the World Trade Organization, the default trading relationship if the UK and the EU are unable to agree a transition period before 29 March.

The car industry is particularly exposed to the risk of a no-deal Brexit, because its products attract relatively high tariffs. Companies that manufacture in the UK also face the prospect of disruption to their “just-in-time” supply chains if there are border delays.

Porsche asks UK buyers to commit to 10% no-deal Brexit surcharge | Business | The Guardian

Hard currency only?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Hard currency only?
      PorscheCoin only....

Comment

I wonder if Porsche are familiar with the phrase 'do one' ?

Comment

Finally, for those running out of reasons not to buy a Porsche, (and there are too many to mention here) a little bit of naked profiteering by Porsche should seal it. Perhaps they're hoping it's true that only idiots buy brand new Porsches.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            I wonder if Porsche are familiar with the phrase 'do one' ?
            Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Finally, for those running out of reasons not to buy a Porsche, (and there are too many to mention here) a little bit of naked profiteering by Porsche should seal it. Perhaps they're hoping it's true that only idiots buy brand new Porsches.
            And rather than admit you were lied to when you were told that German car makers would come to the rescue, you blame the car makers themselves.

Cognitive dissonance. Everything is the EU’s fault, nothing is the fault of those promoting Brexit and lying to you.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              And rather than admit you were lied to when you were told that German car makers would come to the rescue, you blame the car makers themselves.

Cognitive dissonance. Everything is the EU’s fault, nothing is the fault of those promoting Brexit and lying to you.
              Not really this is plainly profiteering but maybe it just shows the fear from companies scared of losing access to a lucrative market.

Comment

Brexit surcharge

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Not really this is plainly profiteering but maybe it just shows the fear from companies scared of losing access to a lucrative market.
                How do you type simple sentences with so much wrong in them?

Do you even know what profiteering means? They’re simply asking the consumer to carry the cost of the extra tariff if there is No Deal, they don’t make any extra profit from it.

Clearly they’re not losing access to any market, lucrative or otherwise. They can still sell cars here. They are not “losing access”. But U.K. tariffs will increase prices to the U.K. consumer.

And is it that lucrative? Really? “It sold 12,500 cars in Britain in 2018, out of global sales of 256,000.” I make that about 5% of global sales.

Eventually it will sink in to you that this will be the same for every industry if there is No Deal - the U.K. consumer will bear the extra cost of any tariffs.

So I’ll ask again - why aren’t you upset yet that the people promoting Brexit have lied to you? Even with something very specific (German car makers coming to the rescue) you refuse to admit that you’ve been lied to and look to blame someone else.
                Last edited by meridian; 16 February 2019, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  How do you type simple sentences with so much wrong in them?

Do you even know what profiteering means? They’re simply asking the consumer to carry the cost of the extra tariff if there is No Deal, they don’t make any extra profit from it.

Clearly they’re not losing access to any market, lucrative or otherwise. They can still sell cars here. They are not “losing access”. But U.K. tariffs will increase prices to the U.K. consumer.

And is it that lucrative? Really? “It sold 12,500 cars in Britain in 2018, out of global sales of 256,000.” I make that about 5% of global sales.

Eventually it will sink in to you that this will be the same for every industry if there is No Deal - the U.K. consumer will bear the extra cost of any tariffs.

So I’ll ask again - why aren’t you upset yet that the people promoting Brexit have lied to you? Even with something very specific (German car makers coming to the rescue) you refuse to admit that you’ve been lied to and look to blame someone else.
                  We haven't left the EU yet so who has lied and how?

Also, why do you think that the "Leave campaign" has influenced all of us? I didn't vote "Leave" because a nice man on the square box in the corner of the living room said it was going to be "milk and honey" after we left. I made my own mind up that leaving would be better in the long run for the UK.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Brexit surcharge

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    We haven't left the EU yet so who has lied and how?

Also, why do you think that the "Leave campaign" has influenced all of us? I didn't vote "Leave" because a nice man on the square box in the corner of the living room said it was going to be "milk and honey" after we left. I made my own mind up that leaving would be better in the long run for the UK.
                    It’s a simple example, but obviously not simple enough for certain posters. Are German car manufacturers going to come to our rescue, insisting that the U.K. gets a good deal and putting pressure on the German government and EU? Or were we lied to about that?

I really don’t care if it influenced you or not. Not relevant to the point.

“I made up my own mind”. Yeah, course you did sweetheart. Unless you can show that you don’t read any papers, don’t watch telly, don’t interact on any social media or forums, don’t talk to your mates down the pub who also haven’t read the papers or watched the telly, then you’ve been influenced. You just don’t know it or want to believe it.

Comment

Working...
                    X