• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Honda to close UK factory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    No, I mean me and you - Someone will have to pick up the tab for this disaster and you can bet your sweet patootie it won’t be Rees-Mogg, Martin or Dyson.
    Nonsense and typical of the depressive attitude on here.

Oh and Honda have said they closed the plant because of global restructuring. Times change and people adapt.

And yep I lost my permy job due to redundancy, everyone without exception that I know is doing well.

Comment

I do not feel lied to at all.

Let's forget the rhetoric and understand that the sole goal of these companies is to make as much money as possible - if this means pulling out of the UK so be it.

But then you have to ask the question - why were they in the UK in the first place - if we are going to say it is down to being in the EU and grants and subsidies then in reality it was only a matter of time before these manufacturing plants were moved to where cheaper labour is.

For me I do not really think all the above is worth staying in the EU for - it feels like you are selling yourself more and more cheaply but you know that these companies will go elsewhere in the next 5-10 years anyway.

UK labour market - Office for National Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I do not feel lied to at all.
        Of course you don’t. Cognitive dissonance is powerful.

Let's forget the rhetoric and understand that the sole goal of these companies is to make as much money as possible - if this means pulling out of the UK so be it.

But then you have to ask the question - why were they in the UK in the first place - if we are going to say it is down to being in the EU and grants and subsidies then in reality it was only a matter of time before these manufacturing plants were moved to where cheaper labour is.

For me I do not really think all the above is worth staying in the EU for - it feels like you are selling yourself more and more cheaply but you know that these companies will go elsewhere in the next 5-10 years anyway.

UK labour market - Office for National Statistics
        I’m sure the 3,500 employees plus the 6,000 supply chain workers are comforted by your words.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Nonsense and typical of the depressive attitude on here.

Oh and Honda have said they closed the plant because of global restructuring.
          The reality is that Honda were running close to the red line financially; they were running a plant at less than optimal capacity, and had reduced any extra costs down to the bone, for example by reducing warehouse costs and relying on JIT.

The reality is also that Brexit will not only interrupt that supply chain, but that a No Deal Brexit will add an immediate 10% onto exports to the EU.

The "why" is financial, the "why now" and "why here" is at least partly Brexit.

Times change and people adapt.
          Is that a Brexiter mantra now? Not all change is bad, it'll get people out of a rut, people adapt, etc. What happened to sunny uplands?

And yep I lost my permy job due to redundancy, everyone without exception that I know is doing well.
          That might be fine for you, but not for everyone and nobody's circumstances are the same. Were you made redundant by the single largest employer in your town closing down? Were there other jobs in the town, or did you have to move? Do you have children in schools, fixed mortgage, things that are difficult to move? Did it take a long time for everyone else to now do well, and what did they do in the meantime when things were tough?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Of course you don’t. Cognitive dissonance is powerful.

I’m sure the 3,500 employees plus the 6,000 supply chain workers are comforted by your words.
            Industry evolves, it does this to survive.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Industry evolves, it does this to survive.
              It does indeed and to stay in the UK is not survivable because of brexit and no trade deal with Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                It does indeed and to stay in the UK is not survivable because of brexit and no trade deal with Japan
                That's not what Honda have said though, is it?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  That's not what Honda have said though, is it?
                  No and you believe it immediately?

Comment

Of course not. I looked at the facts. Then concluded you are a cretin.

HTH BISDI.

Comment

Why do you not? Is it because it doesn't meet your rhetoric?

Comment

Working...
                      X