• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Removing barriers for trade after Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing barriers for trade after Brexit

The government will apply tariffs to food imports to protect British farmers in a no-deal scenario, the environment secretary, Michael Gove, has confirmed.

And, contrary to claims by hard Brexiters, he warned that delays were likely in Calais because of mandatory EU checks on food imports on the French side of the channel.

The tariff regime Britain would like to apply in the event of no deal will be revealed in the “next few days”.

UK will apply food tariffs in case of no deal, Michael Gove says | Politics | The Guardian

Michael Gove does not have a clue. You can't be selective on tariffs under WTO rules
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

He won't be in the Govt at that time, so it won't be his problem anyway.

Comment

The current tariffs are already available, they’re on the schedules submitted by the U.K. to the WTO last year.

Perhaps he means amending the existing tariffs?

Comment

Or he is just a liar - he was attending NFU conference: he is telling turkeys that Xmas is cancelled.

Comment

It means there will be tariffs on all food coming in rather than just non-EU.

So much for Brexit meaning lower tariffs on all food, clothing and footwear. That was clearly as much a meaningless slogan as other slogans they came out with.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I said in the past and will not be tired to repeat: Tory Scum's thinking is to have tariffs which is a sneaky way to increase VAT: unlike VAT you won't get that tax itemised on purchase, so it's a way to increase indirect taxation on goods (including those that don't have VAT on them), a token income tax cut will be offered.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                I said in the past and will not be tired to repeat: Tory Scum's thinking is to have tariffs which is a sneaky way to increase VAT: unlike VAT you won't get that tax itemised on purchase, so it's a way to increase indirect taxation on goods (including those that don't have VAT on them), a token income tax cut will be offered.
                Are EU emergency food aid packages exempt from tariffs?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Are EU emergency food aid packages exempt from tariffs?
                  I am afraid we might see UG Govt blocking toads to prevent “unneeded” aid from making it into the UK

Sounds crazy? Just look at Venezuela that Korbyn loves so much - minus worlds largest oil reserves

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I am afraid we might see UG Govt blocking toads to prevent “unneeded” aid from making it into the UK

Sounds crazy? Just look at Venezuela that Korbyn loves so much - minus worlds largest oil reserves
                    Toads have rights too!

Comment

Working...
                    X