• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No deal brexit means £52 visas for EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not think they are

there maybe some Spanish MEP's who are sucking up to Germany and giving it all the big I am

but the reality is anything which can have a clearly negative effective on a significant proportion of a countries GDP cannot be seen as a good thing.

I am pretty sure those Spanish politicians who actually want to represent the Spanish population are completely against this.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      I mean Tourism only accounts for 16% of Spain's GDP

Tourism accounts for 16% of Spain’s Gross Domestic Product, according to CaixaBank Research

Not something you want to jeopardise?
      You do know that people from other EU countries also go on holiday in Spain and that the amount of British tourists has been decreasing over the past few years, in fact becoming one of the lower number of tourists visiting so they're probably thinking, **** it, at least we get of the pissed up lobster fraternity and get more decent visitors....
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        You do know that people from other EU countries also go on holiday in Spain and that the amount of British tourists has been decreasing over the past few years, in fact becoming one of the lower number of tourists visiting so they're probably thinking, **** it, at least we get of the pissed up lobster fraternity and get more decent visitors....
        Yes i do but even losing 5% is not a good situation.

In fact anything the EU does to try and punish the UK which has a detrimental affect on any EU country just shows the EU's colours - that they are more interested in the continuation of the EU than they are about the individual needs of a member country.

Comment

In fact anything the EU does to try and punish the UK which has a detrimental affect on any EU country just shows the EU's colours - that they are more interested in the continuation of the EU than they are about the individual needs of a member country.
          How do you even get to 5%? As your link says, 84m visitors from around the globe. Are you suggesting that over 4m of them every year are Brits?

There’s no “trying to punish”. Any visas, if applied, are for all non-EU countries. Of which we will shortly be one. Stop complaining, this is what you voted for.

Comment

The EU isn't punishing the UK, the UK is punishing itself and due to the course of action it has decided to take along with the ineptitude of the current government it is causing this. The EU is thinking about it's member countries which is why this is happening although as you don't like the EU, you can't see that. Due to the possibility of the UK leaving causing damage to other countries, not just EU, economies, do you think that those countries are going to look favorably in the future at the UK?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              How do you even get to 5%? As your link says, 84m visitors from around the globe. Are you suggesting that over 4m of them every year are Brits?

There’s no “trying to punish”. Any visas, if applied, are for all non-EU countries. Of which we will shortly be one. Stop complaining, this is what you voted for.
              Edit. Well that’s my maths ****ed. 5% of GDP based on the Spanish numbers of 84m would mean 5/16 * 84m = 26 million Brits going to Spain.

Edit 2. Gov.uk says a little under 19m Brits visited Spain last year, so perhaps not that far fetched after all.

Edit 3. The two numbers together suggest that Brits make up nearly a quarter of all visitors to Spain globally. On the one hand that seems like a ridiculous percentage given the other tourists from the rest of the EU plus eg USA. On the other hand, if I was Italian what would be my incentive to go to Spain for a holiday?

I stand corrected, I think - on the face of it, the numbers stack up.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH
                And expect some of them to say that the EU needs the UK tourists - that's the ones who never visit the EU anyway - to prop up the EU.
                Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Edit. Well that’s my maths ****ed. 5% of GDP based on the Spanish numbers of 84m would mean 5/16 * 84m = 26 million Brits going to Spain.

Edit 2. Gov.uk says a little under 19m Brits visited Spain last year, so perhaps not that far fetched after all.

Edit 3. The two numbers together suggest that Brits make up nearly a quarter of all visitors to Spain globally. On the one hand that seems like a ridiculous percentage given the other tourists from the rest of the EU plus eg USA. On the other hand, if I was Italian what would be my incentive to go to Spain for a holiday?

I stand corrected, I think - on the face of it, the numbers stack up.
                Welcome to the dark side meridian
                Originally posted by Old Greg
                I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Brits will still go to Spain and other places - so Spain and other places will be ok.

What's not going to be ok is UK economy because Brits will have to spend more money on foreign holidays, so spend less in the UK - that's retail, pubs, restaurants etc.

That's the real problem, not what happens in Spain (it's not like Blackpool/Brighton can compete with them).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Brits will still go to Spain and other places - so Spain and other places will be ok.

What's not going to be ok is UK economy because Brits will have to spend more money on foreign holidays, so spend less in the UK - that's retail, pubs, restaurants etc.

That's the real problem, not what happens in Spain (it's not like Blackpool/Brighton can compete with them).
                    Yeah, those middle classes are known for going abroad on holidays, by abstaining from going to Prezzo etc. all year round

Originally posted by Old Greg
                    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                      Yeah, those middle classes are known for going abroad on holidays, by abstaining from going to Prezzo etc. all year round
                      If they have less money in the pocket after booking holiday they will spend less elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X