• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Except the UK can't actually do that, it has to still be negotiated....

EU imported cheddar tariffs:

Any Country Third country duty 167.10 EUR / 100 kg
    All third countries Non preferential tariff quota 21.00 EUR / 100 kg
    Japan Tariff preference 0%
    Not the quoted 40% in the Gardian though is it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Except the UK can't actually do that, it has to still be negotiated....

EU imported cheddar tariffs:

Any Country Third country duty 167.10 EUR / 100 kg
      All third countries Non preferential tariff quota 21.00 EUR / 100 kg
      Japan Tariff preference 0%
      You mean to say we're potentially going to have to pay an extra ~20p for St Agur??????

£2.45 instead of £2.25* !!!!????

Christ, let's beg the EU to bend us over now while we still have the chance....

*Pre-offer price - St Agur Blue Cheese 150G - Tesco Groceries
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        You mean to say we're potentially going to have to pay an extra ~20p for St Agur??????

£2.45 instead of £2.25* !!!!????

Christ, let's beg the EU to bend us over now while we still have the chance....

*Pre-offer price - St Agur Blue Cheese 150G - Tesco Groceries
        Care to share your workings? You’re well out.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          Care to share your workings? You’re well out.
          (167.10 + 21) per 100 KG / 100 = 1.881 per 1 KG
          1.881 per 1KG / 10 = 0.1881 per 100 gram

St Agur linked is 150gr
          so, 0.1881 * 1.5 = Extra per pack of 0.28215

Current Price £2.25 + 0.24p (EUR 0.28215 = ~0.24p) = new price of £2.49

4p difference from my original figure, is hardly 'well out'

Now - what's your workings, for me to be 'well out' ?

Or are you just sea-lioning?
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

meridian - don't bother replying - I've seen the other thread where you said;

Edit. Well that’s my maths ****ed.
            SNIP
            I stand corrected, I think - on the face of it, the numbers stack up.
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
              meridian - don't bother replying - I've seen the other thread where you said;

I don’t see why you’re correlating a reply to a different thread. The only similarity to them is that I’m happy to change my answer if the numbers stack up. You should try it some time.

My issues with your calculation are only minor ones. You’re using the tariff for cheddar and not for blue; it’s not materially different though. You’re also adding the tariff to the VAT-inclusive price, you need to add it to the net imported price and then add VAT onto the total, so another 20% more.

I could be churlish and say that a difference between your original calculation of 20p, and a revised calculation of (24p + 5p VAT =) 29p is a difference of 45% is way out, but I won’t. I’m probably wrong anyway, my maths is a bit tulip today.

Comment

I don’t see why you’re correlating a reply to a different thread. The only similarity to them is that I’m happy to change my answer if the numbers stack up. You should try it some time.

My issues with your calculation are only minor ones. You’re using the tariff for cheddar and not for blue; it’s not materially different though. You’re also adding the tariff to the VAT-inclusive price, you need to add it to the net imported price and then add VAT onto the total, so another 20% more.

I could be churlish and say that a difference between your original calculation of 20p, and a revised calculation of (24p + 5p VAT =) 29p is a difference of 45% is way out, but I won’t. I’m probably wrong anyway, my maths is a bit tulip today.
                Well I hope the extra tariffs do not reduce the viability of the product so much that the citizens of Beauzac are not disadvantaged.

And with a population of only 2000 I would imagine this cheese is quite important to the region.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Well I hope the extra tariffs do not reduce the viability of the product so much that the citizens of Beauzac are not disadvantaged.

And with a population of only 2000 I would imagine this cheese is quite important to the region.
                  It’s a small example, and not even my example. All I’m doing is pointing out that the U.K. is imposing tariffs on food that it imports, so your food prices will probably go up.

Take that example, and use it to examine the other foods that you purchase. Are they manufactured / grown / produced outside of the U.K.? If so, they will probably increase in price.

At the end of the day it’s only a small increase to a contractor, no? Only 10% increase? That’s great that you’ve internalised and accepted a 10% increase in your food. Now what about the people that are JAMs now, and can’t afford an increase? What are you going to do to help them?

Comment

So much fake news. If your rea a proper patriotic news site, you'll see what nonsense this all is.

Free trade deal will not hike food prices - J D Wetherspoon

Comment

40%

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      So much fake news. If your rea a proper patriotic news site, you'll see what nonsense this all is.

Free trade deal will not hike food prices - J D Wetherspoon
                      The Guardian’s article is a bit “Fake News” all right.

There’s a focus in it on food price increases in Northern Ireland, when everyone knows that there will be no tariffs collected on any food imported to NI from Ireland and the rest of the EU - the U.K. is not putting up a border....

Ironically, the Remain-voting border counties can just drive into the Republic and pick up their groceries tariff-free.
                      Last edited by meridian; 21 February 2019, 17:37.

Comment

Working...
                      X