• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Revolting Tories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revolting Tories

And now they are rebelling...

Brexit: Theresa May warned dozens of Tories could rebel over no-deal - BBC News

Isn't it funny that Brexidiots are shouting that those 12 who moved to the independent group, should resign and stand for election in their constituencies again.
    The same guys who shout that the people have decided and there can't be a second referendum

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      Isn't it funny that Brexidiots are shouting that those 12 who moved to the independent group, should resign and stand for election in their constituencies again.
      The same guys who shout that the people have decided and there can't be a second referendum
      What like Nigel Farage resigning as an UKIP MEP but still staying on to get his high salary and pension, much like the rest of the kippers in the EP who have resigned from UKIP....
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        Because they have now joined a group with different aims, to the party, whose aims in the manifesto are completely different.

The thinking goes something like this;

1. We elected you as a Tory/Labour MP, as we agreed with their respective manifestos.
        2. You then left and joined a 'party' with wildly different aims, to the manifestos you originally stood for and were elected for.
        3. So now, we say you should hold a by-election and see if the voting public still agree with you standing for them in parliament, with your new ideas in your new group.

HTH BISDI
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

It was not party name on ballot - it was MPs, surely?

Comment

Revolting Tories

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            It was not party name on ballot - it was MPs, surely? [emoji57]
            This bit is particularly wrong:

We elected you as a Tory/Labour MP, as we agreed with their respective manifestos.
            I can’t speak for everyone, obviously, but I voted Labour (for the first time) in the last election for two reasons:

- my MP voted against A50 and was/is expressly against Brexit

- it was an “anyone but Tories” vote, tactically voting to at least reduce their majority.

Neither reason means that I “agreed with their respective manifestos”.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              This bit is particularly wrong:

I can’t speak for everyone, obviously, but I voted Labour (for the first time) in the last election for two reasons:

- my MP voted against A50 and was/is expressly against Brexit

- it was an “anyone but Tories” vote, tactically voting to at least reduce their majority.

Neither reason means that I “agreed with their respective manifestos”.
              So whose manifesto did you believe?

Comment

Revolting Tories

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                So whose manifesto did you read?
                FTFY. I read none of them.

And before you get all agitated, at least I’m honest that I didn’t read any party’s manifesto, for several reasons:

a. They’re not legally required to implement everything in a manifesto within a parliamentary term, and they can introduce additional legislative changes that are not in any manifesto, so I don’t consider manifestos to be worth the paper they’re written on.

b. They’re written by politicians who, by their nature, are liars. See a above. Not worth the paper.

c. I voted (partly) for a local MP who had shown from her actions that she was prepared to say one thing (vote against A50) and actually do that thing, unlike about 600 other MPs. Less of a liar than the other politicians, at least.

d. As a partially tactical vote, it didn’t matter what what anyone had in their manifesto.

I doubt that anyone on this board read their party’s manifesto, which makes the claim that people agreed with and voted for a manifesto rather weak.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  FTFY. I read none of them.

And before you get all agitated, at least I’m honest that I didn’t read any party’s manifesto, for several reasons:

a. They’re not legally required to implement everything in a manifesto within a parliamentary term, and they can introduce additional legislative changes that are not in any manifesto, so I don’t consider manifestos to be worth the paper they’re written on.

b. They’re written by politicians who, by their nature, are liars. See a above. Not worth the paper.

c. I voted (partly) for a local MP who had shown from her actions that she was prepared to say one thing (vote against A50) and actually do that thing, unlike about 600 other MPs. Less of a liar than the other politicians, at least.

d. As a partially tactical vote, it didn’t matter what what anyone had in their manifesto.

I doubt that anyone on this board read their party’s manifesto, which makes the claim that people agreed with and voted for a manifesto rather weak.
                  So you'd be quite happy to vote for those independent MPs even though in their published 11 values it appears that they have absolutely no view on the most important political decsision they are likely to encounter in their lifetime, i.e. BREXIT.

Comment

Revolting Tories

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                    So you'd be quite happy to vote for those independent MPs even though in their published 11 values it appears that they have absolutely no view on the most important political decsision they are likely to encounter in their lifetime, i.e. BREXIT.
                    If you think they (independently) have no view, you haven’t been paying attention.

You probably don’t know what my MP’s view on Brexit is if I hadn’t mentioned it above (she’s a backbench Labour MP so rather nondescript) but as her constituent I’m very aware of her views. I expect the independent MPs’ constituents are the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X