• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit could be delayed until 2021, EU sources reveal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit could be delayed until 2021, EU sources reveal

EU reportedly determined to avoid uncertainty of three-month extension requests

Brexit could be delayed until 2021 under plans being explored by the EU’s most senior officials, at a time of growing exasperation over Theresa May’s handling of the talks, the Guardian can reveal.

A lengthy extension of the negotiating period is gaining traction as the EU’s default position should the Commons continue to reject May’s deal, and a request emerge.

Replacing the 21-month transition period with extra time as a member state would allow the UK and the EU to develop their plans for the future relationship with the aim of making the contentious Irish backstop redundant.

Brexit could be delayed until 2021, EU sources reveal | Politics | The Guardian

that's handy

2 years to prepare for no deal
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So the EU can't afford to lose their cash cow and want to delay our departure further?

Well for €50bn p.a. fee we can oblige...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        that's handy

2 years to prepare for no deal
        Another 2 years will mean another 2 years of dead gammons. Opinion will change.

Comment

Do ya think the EU have suddenly realised that trying to scare the UK into not leaving by trying to make out everything will be worse is not going to work - and in reality their petty little schemes will do more to harm the EU than help?

Or let's be honest do you think in reality non of them could give a fook as long as the gravy train keeps pulling into their station?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Do ya think the EU have suddenly realised that trying to scare the UK into not leaving by trying to make out everything will be worse is not going to work - and in reality their petty little schemes will do more to harm the EU than help?

Or let's be honest do you think in reality non of them could give a fook as long as the gravy train keeps pulling into their station?
            This is a pity move by the EU.

Comment

EU coming to the rescue of an incompetent and incapable government...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                EU coming to the rescue of an incompetent and incapable government...
                Ha - I think before it can do that it would need to be able to recognise one....

Comment

Ha - I think .
                  No you don't

What you do is believe everything you read in the Express and the Fail. HTH
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Ha - I think before it can do that it would need to be able to recognise one....
                    So you think the government are doing a cracking job, strong and stable?
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X