• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    It’s likely that (if the story is in any way true) the Italian driver holds an IDP because he also drives into non-EU countries, and not just between Italy and the UK
    Oh it is very true, particularly the bit about the UK insurance company that couldn't be bothered to process the claim properly and so it took over 12 months to get the claim settled. The Italian insurance company contested the claim and the fact that the accident ever happened and then failed to turn when the case went to a UK court for settlement. The case was found in my insurance companies favour on the presentation of my rear facing dashcam footage and photographs I took immediately after the accident. However, the Italian insurance company still refused to pay up stating that the UK courts had no authority to award the claim. My Insurance company repaid me my excess before they ever got back any money from the Italians. I have no idea how the financial side of the claim was eventually resolved. All I know is it is down as a non-fault accident.

Lesson to take away from this is never have a motor collision with a driver holding foreign (non UK) motor insurance. if you do expect the resulting claim resolution to be very long and drawn out.

oh and PS Meridian Please don't call me a liar

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      Oh it is very true, particularly the bit about the UK insurance company that couldn't be bothered to process the claim properly and so it took over 12 months to get the claim settled. The Italian insurance company contested the claim and the fact that the accident ever happened and then failed to turn when the case went to a UK court for settlement. The case was found in my insurance companies favour on the presentation of my rear facing dashcam footage and photographs I took immediately after the accident. However, the Italian insurance company still refused to pay up stating that the UK courts had no authority to award the claim. My Insurance company repaid me my excess before they ever got back any money from the Italians. I have no idea how the financial side of the claim was eventually resolved. All I know is it is down as a non-fault accident.

Lesson to take away from this is never have a motor collision with a driver holding foreign (non UK) motor insurance. if you do expect the resulting claim resolution to be very long and drawn out.

Why shouldn't he call you a liar? Freedom of speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        It was a request, not an order. You prick!
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Do people holding foreign driving licences require and IDP to drive in the UK? If so, which one?
          They already do. I
          Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence - GOV.UK

Remember the driver was Italian, so...

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Definitely, especially when they lie
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I didn’t. It was a qualifier.

But as you’ve raised the topic, are you saying that anyone questioning whether something you’ve said is true or not is calling you a liar?

It’s quite possible to be wrong / incorrect without being a liar. You might genuinely believe your position but still have some details wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              I didn’t. It was a qualifier.

But as you’ve raised the topic, are you saying that anyone questioning whether something you’ve said is true or not is calling you a liar?

It’s quite possible to be wrong / incorrect without being a liar. You might genuinely believe your position but still have some details wrong.
              In the context in which you used "your qualifier" you questioned whether my story was true and therefore as I was recounting something that happened to me personally you were indeed calling me a liar.

please don't make me angry. I have already vented my spleen on a mod this morning via a PM over something that was posted yesterday whilst I was denied any right of reply.
              Last edited by Yorkie62; 1 March 2019, 10:18.

Comment

So, the Italian driver did not require an IDP to drive in the UK, that is a clear fact, and is contrary to what 69 said earlier.

Secondly, his rant is (for once) not about the EU, or EU drivers, but about the UK insurance company that he was using.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

In the context in which you used "your qualifier" you questioned whether my story was true and therefore as I was recounting something that happened to me personally you were indeed calling me a liar.

please don't make me angry. I have already vented my spleen on a mod this morning via a PM over something that was posted yesterday whilst I was denied any right of reply.
                  Genuinely, if this forum is making you angry then perhaps just step back for a few days. I’ve had to do that myself a few times. Look after your mental health.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    So, the Italian driver did not require an IDP to drive in the UK, that is a clear fact, and is contrary to what 69 said earlier.

Secondly, his rant is (for once) not about the EU, or EU drivers, but about the UK insurance company that he was using.
                    But that was the fault of the EU anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      yes and No. My insurance company didn't want to deal with an Italian insurance company to resolve the claim correctly (until I suggested we ( my insurance company and I) resolve the matter through the relevant ombudsman. But the Italian insurance company became very obstructive in resolving the claim, and I really have no idea if the legal team employed by my insurance company ever got a resolution.

Comment

Working...
                      X