• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Britain

Nothing says Global Britain like an International Driving Permit to go to France.

It’s like the 2000’s never existed.

Oh, two different permits are required to drive from the U.K. through France to get to Spain.

In some circumstances you may need more than one IDP. For example, when driving through France (1968 IDP) to Spain (1949 IDP).
    International driving permits for UK drivers from 28 March 2019 - GOV.UK

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Oh, two different permits are required to drive from the U.K. through France to get to Spain.

International driving permits for UK drivers from 28 March 2019 - GOV.UK
      And?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Do people holding foreign driving licences require and IDP to drive in the UK? If so, which one?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Do people holding foreign driving licences require and IDP to drive in the UK? If so, which one?
          I'd make them have to hold all of them and drive at the same time.

Comment

The Brexit brains haven't decided on that one yet, like everything else. We'll find out if they have a proposal for it at some stage in the future.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

They already do. In November 2015 I my car what hit in the rear by an Italian registered articulated lorry with an Italian Driver at the wheel. When he got out the cab he ranted at me in Italian, not realising that I am reasonably fluent in Italian and understood most of what he was ranting about in that it was my fault for being in his way. Anyway After asking him, politely in English, to exchange details with his response to more Italian ranting. I politely told him, in his native language of Italian, that due to his refusal to exchange details I was now calling the police and walked away from him. His jaw hit the floor.

To cut a short story even shorter...After the Police arrived they providing me with copies of his international driving permit, his Italian driving licence and his insurance certificate for me to take photos of with my phone.

the longer story was my insurance companies refusal to deal with the Italian insurance company and try to settle for a 50/50 claim. They soon realised that their customer, ME, was not he sort of person that takes these things lightly and the claim was eventually settled as a no fault claim in my favour.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                They already do.
                No, not true unless non-EU...

Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence - GOV.UK

Maybe your 'story' about an Italian lorry driver is not all that is seems
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  No, not true unless non-EU...

Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence - GOV.UK

Maybe your 'story' about an Italian lorry driver is not all that is seems
                  It’s likely that (if the story is in any way true) the Italian driver holds an IDP because he also drives into non-EU countries, and not just between Italy and the UK

Comment

An international driving license is nothing else but a translation, so yes technically anyone form outside the EU needs one, car rental companies always say it in their T&Cs. no one ever asks for it though.

One time I showed the police in Ukraine my international permit and they had no idea what it was and caused only a longer hold up

Comment

Working...
                    X