• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit dividend reaching the regions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    You said

That’s an easy one. From the U.K. contribution.

Which (theoretically) means that there is £16b to distribute, ten times as much as the U.K. government actually are.

Where’s the rest? Where’s the funds for Wales, NI, Scotland?

Just wondering if you could clarify exactly what that is?
    After two and a half years you want someone to clarify for you what the U.K. contribution into the EU budget is?

Let’s assume that it’s more than £16b over 6 years. We contribute to the budget, we get a fair chunk of it back in CAP payments to farmers and in regional development fund payments.

Where’s the rest of the money for the other regions?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      After two and a half years you want someone to clarify for you what the U.K. contribution into the EU budget is?

Let’s assume that it’s more than £16b over 6 years. We contribute to the budget, we get a fair chunk of it back in CAP payments to farmers and in regional development fund payments.

Where’s the rest of the money for the other regions?
      Are you going to answer the question?

How much per week/month/year does the UK pay the EU?

According to the side of a bus 350 Million - but what was that for the month/week/year and was it even accurate? (I never really believed the bus...)

Comment

Brexit dividend reaching the regions

According to the side of a bus 350 Million - but what was that for the month/week/year and was it even accurate? (I never really believed the bus...)
        Why do you want someone else to do your research for you? You have Google, look it up.

As I said above, you will need to define “pay” first. Different sites and calculations will give you different figures depending on how you define things.

Start with fullfact.org and work your way down the rabbit hole from there.

The UK's EU membership fee - Full Fact

Comment

It didn't include the rebate, or EU grants paid to UK organisations or things the EU pay for that we'll have to pay for ourselves. Depending what you include it's around £200 million a week. That £200M ostensibly is the cost of enjoying the benefits of being in the EU. If you see no benefit, you will consider to be £200M worse off by being in the EU.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Ok so the first fact is pretty good

"The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2017 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion."

So in the years 2021 to 2027 the we would have paid the EU - assuming no changes a total of £9 Billion per year so over the 6 years we would pay them 54 Billion (9*6 quick maths) and over those 6 years we get how much back?

Anyway as many have already said - it is impossible for all members of the EU to get out more than they put in.

And the question you then have to ask is whether we get value for money for the difference - and I think being treated like tulip is as good a reason as any to leave.

Comment

Ok so the first fact is pretty good

"The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2017 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion."

So in the years 2021 to 2027 the we would have paid the EU - assuming no changes a total of £9 Billion per year so over the 6 years we would pay them 54 Billion (9*6 quick maths) and over those 6 years we get how much back?
              How much we get back is difficult to quantify. We're going to find out shortly.

I suspect that you're looking for a £ figure that comes back to us as a payment, but it's not as straightforward as that. For example, we reduce our overall costs through shared agencies. Business reduce their costs through the lack of non-tariff barriers. Consumers save through lack of tariffs from the single market.

Anyway as many have already said - it is impossible for all members of the EU to get out more than they put in.
              This is as true for the EU member states as it is for London vs the rest of the UK. There will always be winners and losers when funds are pooled and consolidated.

And the question you then have to ask is whether we get value for money for the difference -
              On your tax return you can see your personal contribution. It's around 1.0 - 1.5% of your tax paid. On a decent salary of £40k, the average Joe is paying around £12k tax. The EU contribution from that is around £180 per year.

Our definitions of value for money will be different, but in the last year I've saved far more than that from not having to pay extra tariffs and vat on purchases from the EU, not having to pay for roaming charges, an International Driving Permit, visas, etc while visiting the continent.

and I think being treated like tulip is as good a reason as any to leave.
              Name one way in which you personally have been treated like tulip.

Comment

"In 2017 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion."
                I wonder how they came up with the £350m per week on that bus?

£350m/week = £18.2bn/year

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post

Gross contribution, before rebate, CAP, regional development, research grants, etc.

The reason why I asked him to define “pay”. :-)

Comment

Remember when the Leave campaigns told voters that any lost E.U. funding will get more than replaced by U.K. Government funding? Well, here’s the reality. EU structural funds to help struggling areas versus what the U.K. Government plans to spend. Notice anything? What are the government doing with the difference, that is the question you should be asking?

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post

It’s interesting that the Leave group don’t like talking percentages, apart from the massive percentage win in the referendum.

What percentage of the UK government spending goes to the EU?
                      Is it 99%?
                      75%?
                      52%?

I’d like to hear from a Brexiter to see if they know.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X