• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

T-25 days...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    The 27 sovereign nations agreed the deal with the UK government in good faith. The UK government is now trying to renege on that agreement and showing bad faith. This is not the EU's fault. They know no deal will be bad for them, but worse for the UK (big industry leaving the UK is evidence of that). It is up to the UK to come up with a solution it can get through parliament that is agreeable to the EU27 , or to ratify the already agreed deal. If the UK parliament can't do this it has the following choices:

1) revoke A50
    2) Crash out of the EU
    3) Ask to extend A50 (maybe for a GE or people's vote on the deal vs Remain. Can't see why EU would agree to an extension for anything else.)

Who knows what parliament with go for in the end. Ratifying May's deal seems the compromise that should happen, but the DUP and ERG minority extremists are holding May to ransom.

That reminds me, I need to get down Waitrose for some more
    The 27 people voted purely in their own interests so that they could get some of the dollar we send.

If we were a net taker instead of a net giver do you think the EU would give a fook about us leaving?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      The 27 people voted purely in their own interests so that they could get some of the dollar we send.

If we were a net taker instead of a net giver do you think the EU would give a fook about us leaving?
      Of course they voted in their own interest. You don't think they're going to vote in our interest do you? How naive

And a bit hypocritical given the 17.4m voted in their own interests too, and not in the interest of the country and future generations. But I'd expect nothing less from you.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Of course they voted in their own interest. You don't think they're going to vote in our interest do you? How naive

And a bit hypocritical given the 17.4m voted in their own interests too, and not in the interest of the country and future generations. But I'd expect nothing less from you.
        Good point - so why would want to pay them some money to stay in the club and be ignored?

Maybe back in the day it was ok being a sugar daddy to a few young ones

but it seems they have all grown old and fat and no longer put out - so it's time to stop playing sugar daddy.

Comment

Good point - so why would want to pay them some money to stay in the club and be ignored?

Maybe back in the day it was ok being a sugar daddy to a few young ones

but it seems they have all grown old and fat and no longer put out - so it's time to stop playing sugar daddy.
          You're paying for benefits. The benefits are tangible and easy to measure. GDP, sterling value, inward investment etc are easy to see.

The 'cost' of brexit is far outweighing the 'cost' of membership; in your simple mind you're just seeing the figure going out, but you're not understanding what the spend buys. But I wouldn't expect anything less from you
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Erm, yep. Because when one nation proves they can leave successfully, the floodgates are going to open.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Erm, yep. Because when one nation proves they can leave successfully, the floodgates are going to open.
              In your delusional dreams.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                In your delusional dreams.
                I thought we'd got over that.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  You hope.
                  The Polish are thinking of a referendum on EU membership, however I understand theirs is not a blanket stay or leave vote.

Something more along the lines on whether it should be impossible for future govts to revoke EU citizenship (i.e. it is constitutionally enshrined in law).

The Poles have done very well out of the EU, paid in peanuts and received billions every year. I wonder who paid for all that great stuff there?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    The Polish are thinking of a referendum on EU membership, however I understand theirs is not a blanket stay or leave vote.

Something more along the lines on whether it should be impossible for future govts to revoke EU citizenship (i.e. it is constitutionally enshrined in law).

The Poles have done very well out of the EU, paid in peanuts and received billions every year. I wonder who paid for all that great stuff there?

Arguably, we’ve also done very well out of the Polish.

I know I have, my bathroom was installed for half the price and probably twice the quality of a British plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      Arguably, we’ve also done very well out of the Polish.

I know I have, my bathroom was installed for half the price and probably twice the quality of a British plumber.
                      Ahh, the old "We should stay in the EU because I can get cheap labour to undercut British workers" argument.

Yes, the £300,000,000,000 we have paid in since we joined the EU was money well spent, your bathroom looks great!

Comment

Working...
                      X