• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Add your brexit jokes here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Another loser....
    So you like living in a dictatorship then?

Where you may get to vote but ultimately it is a sop and counts for nothing.

But the real funny joke is that right now you think it is great because you are getting your own way.

I wonder how you will feel when you all vote for something in good faith and an unaccountable ruling elite decide you were wrong.

Worryingly it is no longer about whether the UK stays or goes it is now about whether we genuinely live in a democracy.

Comment

Maybe some reading is in order

How democracies die

'Democracies can die with a coup d'état - or they can die slowly. This happens most deceptively when in piecemeal fashion, with the election of an authoritarian leader, the abuse of governmental power and the complete repression of opposition. All three steps are being taken around the world - not least with the election of Donald Trump - and we must all understand how we can stop them.

In How Democracies Die, Harvard professors Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt draw insightful lessons from across history - from the rule of General Augusto Pinochet in Chile to the quiet undermining of Turkey's constitutional system by President Recip Erdogan - to shine a light on regime breakdown across the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. Notably they point to the dangers of an authoritarian leader faced with a major crisis.

Based on years of research, they present a deep understanding of how and why democracies die; an alarming analysis of how democracy is being subverted today in the US and beyond; and a guide for maintaining and repairing a threatened democracy, for governments, political parties and individuals.

History doesn't repeat itself. But we can protect our democracy by learning its lessons, before it's too late.'

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I've got a funny one.

Do you hear about the country who took a democratic vote and had that result of the turned over by an unaccountable ruling elite?
        Factually incorrect.
        The only ones that can revoke A50 are U.K. politicians. Elected and accountable.

How about the one where those who lost that democratic vote took the overturning of the result by an unaccountable ruling elite as some sort of success?

See above about elected and accountable.

Regardless of whether you think the result of the Brexit vote was right or wrong you cannot support the EU having the ability to overrule a democratic UK vote.
        Factually incorrect. The EU does not have this ability.

Or we are back in the situation of discussing why many many good men died on the beaches in Northern France all those years ago - it was so we would not to worry about a central European power telling us what to do.
        Are you speaking for the dead, now?

There is no central European power telling you what to do.

Comment

But the real funny joke is that right now you think it is great because you are getting your own way.

I wonder how you will feel when you all vote for something in good faith and an unaccountable ruling elite decide you were wrong.

Worryingly it is no longer about whether the UK stays or goes it is now about whether we genuinely live in a democracy.
          What you call a dictatorship is actually British parliamentary representative democracy. You voted for more of this and for less EU interference. Also, many people have laid down their lives to defend it against actual dictatorships.

Comment

So tell me who the dictator is then in this dictatorship? I do live in a democracy and will be voting in it shortly....
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              So tell me who the dictator is then in this dictatorship? I do live in a democracy and will be voting in it shortly....
              Dictatorships don't allow regular free and fair elections. Worth understanding Enabling Acts to see how a democracy can be subverted into dictatorship.

Comment

I've got a funny one.

Do you hear about the country who took a democratic vote and had that result of the turned over by an unaccountable ruling elite?

How about the one where those who lost that democratic vote took the overturning of the result by an unaccountable ruling elite as some sort of success?

Regardless of whether you think the result of the Brexit vote was right or wrong you cannot support the EU having the ability to overrule a democratic UK vote.

Or we are back in the situation of discussing why many many good men died on the beaches in Northern France all those years ago - it was so we would not to worry about a central European power telling us what to do.
                The UK can leave today if it chooses. It can leave and the EU cannot stop us. We can just walk away. The choice is ours. It is our democratically elected MPs, and not the EU, who is stopping us from leaving without a deal in place.

All the EU can do is agree to a deal that does not put their members in a worse position. Equally, the UK can ratify, or not, that deal.

I know you understand this and don't really believe the EU is stopping us from leaving. I mean, come on, who could be that thick?
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot to add, you're off topic. This is a 'jokes' thread and not a 'whataboutery', oh poor me I'm a sad little victim, thread.

Go on, say something funny so we can laugh with you for once and not at you
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Oh yeah, forgot to add, you're off topic. This is a 'jokes' thread and not a 'whataboutery', oh poor me I'm a sad little victim, thread.

Go on, say something funny so we can laugh with you for once and not at you
                      Ok the EU genuinely cares about the citizens of it's member countries.

That is fooking funny.

Comment

Working...
                      X